Well I have hit my 5 year AF Anniversary

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Well I have hit my 5 year AF Anniversary

Postby hurtinend » 19 Dec 2013, 15:56

just before xmas 2008 was when I developed my a/f "problem". The first 8 months was the worst time in my life, what a puzzling and horrible condition. The spasms and burning hot coal pain was relentless. Creams, potions, doctors - nothing. Trust me I did everything you have all done.

The only thing I have not tried is surgery - so here we are as I celebrate 5 long years - over time, my symptoms SLOWLY improved, in fact I had moments where I thought i was healed. But, it always comes back, always, well for me anyways.

The one thing that has helped me more than anything I have tried: MAGNESIUM CITRATE, 600 mg a day. If you want soft evacuation, this is it. I recommend everyone try it. It has not cured me but has helped me greatly.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Re: Well I have hit my 5 year AF Anniversary

Postby owmybum » 20 Dec 2013, 02:56

Welcome to the forum hurtinend.
5 years is an awfully long time to be suffering. I have had my AF for over 2 1/2 years now.... And I'm just waiting for a pressure test before surgery. Have you considered surgery???

You've come to a great place for info and support, it's been a life saver for me!!

:wel:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby hurtinend » 23 Dec 2013, 11:02

I have considered surgery - honestly I am scared of being cut down there, I feel like it wont help. I saw a CRS 2 years ago and he got me out of his office in a hurry, said it was nothing, told me to avoid alcohol and chocolate.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Postby Scared21yearold » 23 Dec 2013, 16:44

Hi Hurtinend,

I had a Fissurectomy and a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy 10 days ago and let me tell you, it was definitely the best decision I have made. After 8 months of having an anal fissure, I developed scar tissue which prevented healing of the fissure. The surgery is really not all that bad as other people say it is...I am young, so I guess that's one advantage, but by day 5-6 post op, I was out of pain and felt back to my normal self...I just had some mild discomfort. I didn't even need the pain killers that were prescribed to me either. I just took a heavy duty anti-inflammitory for 3-4 days and that was that. I do have very minor fecal residue on my gauze after I have a BM though. I went to my surgeon for my first follow-up today, and he said that it's normal and will clear up within a month or two. So I am confident it's not permanent. It's all a part of the healing process and the chances of something going terribly wrong is very very slim. I would just go for the surgery if you're in pain. In my situation, I had a "painless fissure", but it would've caused more problems down the road for me if I DIDN'T have the surgery. I would HEAVILY research good CRS surgeons though. Go to one that is well-respected, and has good credentials with lots of years of experience. Most of all though, don't worry! If it has to be done, it has to be done. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if it makes you feel better too
Scared21yearold
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby hurtinend » 27 Dec 2013, 13:35

okay thank you for the input, I will follow up with a CRS, I realize this isnt going to heal on its own.

Thank you again and all the best.
hurtinend
King Fissure