Do's and Don'ts after surgery?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Do's and Don'ts after surgery?

Postby rw76 » 07 Feb 2014, 18:43

I had my fisulotmy today in the office with local - thankfullly it was very superficial!

Anyway the doctor said nothing much other than to bunch gauze in there and to soak in baths and keep it clean, really he didnt say much at all, I asked him if it was like taking care of the fissure.

Anyway thought I would come and ask for tips and what I should be doing :) At any rate you probably know better than any doctor! :thankyou:
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: Do's and Don'ts after surgery?

Postby Savaici » 07 Feb 2014, 18:52

I am sure someone will come along who has had the same surgery, but in the meanwhile here is a link about aftercare:

https://www.fairfaxcolorectal.com/docs/ ... LOTOMY.pdf

Good luck with your healing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby rw76 » 07 Feb 2014, 21:46

Thank you! That is helpful!
rw76
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Feb 2014, 15:51

Hi RW,
How are you now recovering? It's good to read you got your surgery done and you are now hopefully healing nicely. Your fistulotomy sounds pretty much like mine was.....It will be a little uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but you should start to feel much better soon. The main thing is to keep the wound dry and clean whilst it heals - you will probably find that you shouldn't need to leave the gauze in there for too long. Don't be tempted to put any creams on the open wound because of a risk of possible infection and keep your stools nice and soft, more so for the next few weeks whilst your wound is healing. Hopefully, the wound should be completely closed after about 8 weeks & you will be pretty much back to normal! If the fistula was small & uncomplicated, the healing process always seems to be relatively quick and easy. It's always good to have your GP/ nurse check the wound to ensure it is healing properly and to get that reassurance that you are on track! Wishing you all the best in your continuing recovery :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rw76 » 20 Feb 2014, 10:10

It was a walk in the park - had discomfort for the afternoon took two pain pills and then zero pain or discomfort. I'm two weeks out and I go to check tomorrow with CRS but I feel totally 100% normal. Yay!
rw76
Salt Bather