Botox or LIS? Please advice

Botox or LIS? Please advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Botox or LIS? Please advice

Postby suzyljank » 26 Feb 2014, 16:02

Hi, so sorry. You said you're going on 4 months now, after 8 weeks a fissure is considered chronic. When they become chronic you sometimes don't see much blood anymore because the spasming cuts the blood flow to the area. You actually need the blood to flow freely there for the fissure to have a chance to heal. Some people swear by botox but many others who have tried it wind up with LIS. It's a choice you and your doctor will have to make. My CRS doesn't do botox for chronic fissures so it was never an option for me. Good luck in whatever you choose. Hope you find yourself on the road to recovery soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby kpain » 28 Feb 2014, 10:57

Thanks suzyljank for the info. My CRS is suggesting to try Botox before LIS. I have my appointment next week. Will discuss with him at length which route is the best. Although I am trying to be patient, the burning sensation during work hours is concerning me. I cannot seem to sit still and I need to keep changing my seat position or stand up or walk or squat. It is frustrating. But I do well in the afternoon and rest of the day. Still, not able to sit properly for few hours is not good. I need something beyond the conservative healing methods.

Change of topic - I observed that you are from Midwest. I am from Minnesota. If you are from the same state, I would like to know from whom you got your LIS done. Thanks!
kpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby kpain » 28 Feb 2014, 11:31

Also, I think I can bring the burning sensation under control if I take mild pain killers like ibuprofen etc. I did this for a while a month ago when I was battling my troublesome wisdom tooth. At the time, I felt only minimal burning sensation. It came back as soon as I stopped taking ibuprofen. But now I cannot keep taking ibuprofen every day as I fear it is unhealthy for long term use. That is why I am bracing myself for Botox or LIS.
kpain
Fibre Addict

Postby vdb324 » 28 Feb 2014, 17:40

Kpain,

It sounds like you had very similar pain to what I had. I would have to constantly switch up how I was sitting. I did two rounds of Botox first and that significantly helped with the pain that was so bothersome with sitting. Unfortunately, in my case, it didn't heal me, but there are others who have been healed on here from it (JHH), but it's almost worth it for the pain relief alone.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby kpain » 04 Mar 2014, 12:15

Hey vdb324......good to know that Botox helped in lessening the pain. Hopefully, LIS will permanently cure this problem in your case. When you were on Botox......did you had to still follow strict diet, miralax, GTN, sitz bath everyday?
kpain
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?