My mistake: what may work for others may not work for you

You may not need more fiber

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My mistake: what may work for others may not work for you

Postby Newmommy28 » 26 Feb 2014, 10:39

Hi, Everyone!

I'm posting with hope that this may help somebody.

After seeing the first colorectal doctor and reading everyone's posts, I did the first thing many of you have done: completely changed my diet. (A little about me: I'm 29 years old, developed my fissure after having a baby in September '13.) I'm a very healthy gal. I eat a lot of whole grains and veggies/fruits, so needless to say, I had no clue what I was doing wrong in terms of healing and eating fissure-friendly foods.

Here's what I figure out:

1. The fiber supplement the doctor told me to use was causing me to poop more than once a day (Thanks, Doctor. Um, not really.). I was drinking Citrucel every night. I actually did not need to do this. I was already eating enough fiber during the day and had no need to worry about constipation.

2. My poop was too soft. It wasn't runny or like diahrrea, but I would still get tremendous spasms after my bowel movements. I was told I needed soft poop, so needless to say I was very frustrated.

3. I was eating TOO MUCH insoluble fiber. Here's where it gets tricky. I was overdosing on fruits and vegetables and eating 2 bowls of fiber-enriched cereal (Kashi brand) a day. After visiting family during the holidays I noticed I was having less fissure pain. This was odd to me, since I was eating less healthy than normal. It was only til recent that I figured this part out. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but I started eating more starchy things and things that everyone on here (for the most part) said not to eat, like bananas and pasta. This has actually balanced my poo out and made it firmer and I've had less pain when on the toilet.

Like I said, this may not work for everyone, especially those who struggle with constipation or poop that's hard as rocks. I am still drinking Miralax at night but I've stopped the citrucel completely. I'm also not doing as many veggies at night. I've cut out the Kashi cereal.

I'm really hoping this may help someone. You all have been so great. I'm very thankful for this forum. Especially because it seems as though the doctors don't really know how to handle each individual fissure-sufferer.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: My mistake: what may work for others may not work for yo

Postby Savaici » 26 Feb 2014, 12:40

Just the same as happened for me. And just like you, took a little time to work out what my digestive system needed.

My advice to everyone that I answer who might be asking about fibre is don't overdo the fibre. Check up as to just how much you need for your body size and weight.
:Rock:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Newmommy28 » 26 Feb 2014, 12:58

Agreed. Like I said, I wish my doctor had been more thorough about this point. Or at least suggested a nutritionist. He just assumed I needed to up my fiber, which didn't make sense to me. I spent a ton of time obsessing and worrying over what I was doing wrong. I was never constipated or had issues with going and I am wondering if there are a lot of people on here who are the same.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Feb 2014, 13:52

It was similar for me. My CR nurse told me to get enough fibre, and gave me a list of foods and how much fibre is in each food. I knew I was getting plenty of fibre in my normal diet, but still went a bit crazy getting more. I don't think it did me much harm, but taking psyllium tablets was a waste of money and made my stools big. They were soft and formed, so as I say I don't think it did much damage, but still - I was better off without the psyllium.

All the time, my husband was telling me "all this fibre is going to give you a bigger volume of poop - don't you want smaller BMs? - it seems like madness to eat so much fibre".

So now I find myself telling people here to experiment, and not to go overboard on the fibre. It's difficult to know what to advise when you don't know what a person's normal diet is like. So I suggest keeping a diary, experimenting and seeing what gives the least painful BMs.

In my case, I think my fissure was caused by not drinking water, and getting constipated due to dehydration.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby vdb324 » 26 Feb 2014, 19:58

I had a similar experience. I went home for the holidays and ate terribly (less fruits and veggies) and did much better. It's funny how individualized it is.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby ButtQueen » 27 Feb 2014, 01:52

Same here. Though my poop seems to have a brain of its own. Sometimes the same diet gives me perfect soft stools. The other times I get explosive bowel movement (hard + soft) by taking the same diet, which hurts bad!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby leanne27 » 27 Feb 2014, 02:52

I worked out that fewer bowel motions is better, as long as they are soft. I usually have a lot of fibre in my diet and I am going lower than usual to manage the pain. It's always good if I go a day without a bowel motion.

I found that I would get constipated around period time which is what caused my fissures I believe. I am lucky (!?) that I am becoming menopausal and having fewer cycles which is helping with that problem.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby ButtQueen » 27 Feb 2014, 03:11

YES YES YES! In fact, sadly I re-tear a perfectly healing fissure every month just before or during my period, with a BM that I need to strain on, and which is hard and dry. After me period ends, it takes a 180 degree turn and I start having very hard bits followed by very loose diarrhea type stool. I am still figuring out how to deal with that!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Newmommy28 » 27 Feb 2014, 15:03

Ugh, I'm so sorry ladies! Fortunately I'm still breast feeding so I haven't had a period yet, but I do remember the same issue for me and my bowel movements during that time.

Maybe if you're having an issue with loose stools during your period, it may be good to eat more starchy foods (brown rice/pasta)? I know it may make you feel more bloated than you already do but may be worth a try? Or if you have the opposite problem then up the veggies/fiber more than your norm.

Scientist is right- keeping a diary is a good idea especially during your cycle.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby ButtQueen » 28 Feb 2014, 00:32

Thanks NewMommy28, I managed the constipated time of my period fine this time I think. Only had to strain once. But then I have been getting diarrhea type stool once or twice a day. Actually to be honest, the loose stools rarely cause me pain. Only some discomfort. It is when my AF has to stretch is what causes me pain. Hmmmmm. Thanks for your advice :)

I would try to keep a diary now. Often when I begin eating something naughty these days, I get a strange twinge down there which tells my brain "ohhh no no no no no".

How funny.
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist