Should I return to drinking coffee?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Should I return to drinking coffee?

Postby earpods » 26 Apr 2014, 10:29

Hi!

I suffered from chronic anal fissures for two years, treated multiple times but it kept coming back. I even had LIS in July 2013, which didn't seem to help immediately, but I'm happy to say that I've been better since August 2013.

I've been on daily Calmol 4 and Miralax for almost a year now, and I have no plans to stop that, out of fear that I will get another fissure. (On a side note, is this unhealthy? Should I stop with the Miralax? My doctor said I could stay on it, but I don't know how much I trust him, especially considering he almost gave up on me after the surgery didn't seem to fix my problems).

I've also eliminated coffee from my diet, and I just recently drank my first coffee in almost a year!

I've never been a "coffee addict", and I don't plan on becoming one. Just a tall iced coffee from Starbucks a couple times a week. I never have more than a cup a day, and I don't do it to affect my mood, I just enjoy the taste. My caffeine levels stay under 100mg a day. No more.

Anyway, is this bad? Do you think I should stay away from coffee, or do you think that 75mg a day won't hurt me? Thanks!
earpods

Topics: 1

Re: Should I return to drinking coffee?

Postby Now66 » 26 Apr 2014, 14:22

I was able to accomplish natural healing for my AF with patience, Nitro, Miralax. Metamucil, ground flax seed, and lot of water. After maybe 15 months, the only thing I have dropped is the Nitro. The Miralax is not absorbed by the body, works well to maintain toothpaste like poop, and I'm not stopping it.

As for coffee, I drink easily 10 cups a day BUT I make myself chug a full 8 oz cup of water before each mug of coffee until I get my 8 cup daily allowance. If there is a problem with this, the rest of the world had better watch out!
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Apr 2014, 16:33

I drink one cup a day, or two at most. I agree with Now66, that as long as you stay hydrated, coffee is fine.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby vdb324 » 26 Apr 2014, 20:31

I returned a week or two after LIS, when I felt I had more control over my system. I eased into it, but as others have mentioned, I drink usually 100-150 ounces of water each day.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52