LIS for Fissure and Banding

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: LIS for Fissure and Banding

Postby Roidsfizzman » 08 Jul 2014, 09:16

Post 9 & 10 weeks - I now have more normal days than days with mild stingers or mild discomfort after a BM. I still have an issue that when I get the urge to go I only have a few minutes to find a restroom. The urge issue has improved a little over the last couple of weeks. Still watching the diet and taking MiraLax once a day
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby sb2 » 08 Jul 2014, 10:43

Hi RF. Have you had retears along the way since your LIS? I have twice felt a twinge during soft bms followed by 2-3 days of pain and irritation. I assume these were retears. Also noticed both times that I was feeling well beforehand, and got a little lazy with the BMs. I don't know about you, but if I don't tense up a bit down there during a bm, that is when I have had these twinges. Could just be a coincidence, but oddly it has happened both times I got a bit lazy and forgot to tense up. Anything similar with you? Thanks.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Roidsfizzman » 08 Jul 2014, 13:05

Hi SB2,

I had one firm stool during my 10 weeks of post LIS that I had a concern of a re-tear. I believe what happened was the new/scare tissue got stretched and caused some discomfort for a couple of days as I did not have the major fissure pain. I am now just getting where I do not feel tenderness at every imperfection or size difference in the stool at the fissure location.

The feeling of a re-tear for me was as follows: The BM would feel like there was a piece of glass on the edge of the stool cutting on the way out. Once I got this pain there would be a blood line on the stool and blood on the tissue, then, the after pain fissure hell would start. I hope I never experience this again.

Pre LIS I used to contract the external sphincter muscle during a BM after I got the stool started as it appeared to help with the BM pain. This may of been a bad practice, but it was something I did to ease the pain. I have tried to quit this practice after LIS. Is this what you mean by tense up?
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sb2 » 08 Jul 2014, 14:30

Yes, exactly. For whatever reason, it seems like this minimal level of controlling the bm seems to help. I'm hoping anyway, as that is the only explanation I've found for why I've had these two setbacks.
sb2
Salt Bather

Postby Roidsfizzman » 11 Jul 2014, 11:19

Hi SB2,
The last check up I did was 5 weeks post op and I have not gone back. I would not allow the CRS to use a scope at 5 weeks as I did not want to risk more damage. The location of my fissure is mostly internal and to get a good view requires a scope. She looked at what she could see without a scope and said the fissure and incision sites looked good. I feel much better today than I did at 5 weeks, so I do not see a need of a return visit.

Is your fissure internal or external?

The fissure and incision needs 6 to 8 for the skin to get strong and heal. If you are feeling some discomfort at 5 weeks, but still improving you should not be to concerned.

If you are still having some bleeding or fissure type of pain and you think that you had a re-tear, then you may want to see your CRS as the next steps would be silver nitrate or cauterizing.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sb2 » 11 Jul 2014, 12:36

Thanks RF. I'm not having any bleeding or spasming. The pain/irritation is different (better) than before surgery but I have stretches of days where it feels better (almost normal) and stretches of days like the last few where it feels irritated and a little painful. I'm still reluctant to go back to my CRS until my scheduled appt in early August. I am concerned about possible infection, but I have read so many posts with people describing many if the same symptoms I am having at this stage.

By the way, my fissure is internal, and it was relatively long from what my surgeon said 1.5cm, so sometimes it seems the pain and irritation are way up there.
sb2
Salt Bather

Postby Rachael 1984 » 25 Jul 2014, 02:18

Hi Roids,
How are you doing?

X
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Roidsfizzman » 02 Aug 2014, 12:55

Hi Rachael,

I see that you are now a moderator. WOW. It is well deserved after almost 1000 posts and your knowledge and experience will be useful on the web site. Sorry to hear about your recent set back. I wish they could just move up your LIS surgery date, so you did not have to deal with another month of pain.

I was having an issue with urgency at BM time and my doctor wanted me to get off MiraLax after a year and a half use and try Colace. I resisted as I was afraid changing anything and getting a hard stool. I did go to Colace (one pill a day) about 2 weeks ago and I am not having the issue with urgency and my internal sphincter muscle has also tighten up a little since LIS surgery. If I get a firm stool, I still have a little tenderness during the day. I still fear a re-tear and I sure that is something you will also need to deal with as a long term AF suffer after LIS.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 14 Aug 2014, 11:55

Hi Roids,
My op is the 17th Sept now, as they decided to move it to six days later than originally booked! Ugh.
I've managed to calm everything down and I'm managing again... (Knock on wood)! I just can't face the daily BM, I hate it! I'm always so fearful! I don't think it will leave me, even when I've had the LIS, as you say it's a long term fear.

I'm glad you're doing well. Sounds like the urgency is under control now.... Are you confirmed healed? You're a real inspiration and I hope my LIS works. You were very brave having a high risk of incontinence too. Well done! Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Roidsfizzman » 28 Aug 2014, 10:30

Post 4 months LIS - I have been having more issues with discomfort after a large or hard stool that will last for a couple of days. The discomfort has been more of an issue recently because the sphincter muscle has tighten up. I now have to push again to open the internal sphincter muscle too get the stool out. On a hard stool I can feel the stool scratch on the way out, but I have had no bleeding. I looked at the fissure and I could see about half of it, and there is still a red seam where it has healed. I have made an appointment with my CRS on Monday 9/8/14 to take a look at what is going on. I am doing a hot bath after a BM when possible and using a daily stool softener and watching the diet.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist