Temporary colostomy?

Anyone ever heard of it?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Temporary colostomy?

Postby asdf123456 » 14 Jul 2014, 16:11

I can't believe that I am at this point where I have to ask this, but has anyone heard of somebody using a temporary colostomy to heal non-healing anal wounds? I have been looking online and not found much of anything, although it does say that temporary colostomy is to allowed "trauma wounds" time to heal.

My doctor actually suggested it today as one of my three remaining options available. He said I can try a flagyl cream on the area twice daily for six weeks, and then, if I'm still not healed, move forward with either the temporary bag, another flap, or both at the same time. Honestly, I've jokingly referred to it as a last resort here, but I've never actually heard a doctor suggest it until this morning. It scared the hell out of me honestly, considering what I have seems to be so minor. As for right now, I am weighing waiting the recommended six weeks with this flagyl stuff, that I honestly don't have much faith in, or just going back to my old surgeon and asking for another flap. My CRS this morning said that I am not a good re-flap candidate because he didn't see any good skin available...although I don't understand why. He said it looked inflamed from trying so hard to heal. I don't really get that nor have I ever heard it before...I'm at a new all-time-low.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: Temporary colostomy?

Postby owmybum » 14 Jul 2014, 16:45

Oh wow asdf....... I bet you feel like you've been hit by a ton of bricks!

I have heard of tempory colostomy bags being used for the treatment of fissures, but as I understand, it's a very old fashioned method to get it to heal. When I asked my crs about it, he said it was really a last resort.

Flagyl cream.... Is that an antibiotic cream/steroid cream???

As for not being able to do another flap on you..... I thought the skin comes from the fleshy part of your bum?? It should still be ok, shouldn't it??

I absolutely think you need a second opinion on all this. A fresh pair of eyes. Was it the dr who gave you the kenalog who you have just seen???

I'm so sorry you're still having to go through this sh**, I really am. Xxxx

OMB xxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby asdf123456 » 14 Jul 2014, 16:58

Yea, I really didn't expect him to suggest it...scared the hell out of me. And yes, today's appointment was with the dr who gave me the kenalog. He now says 6 more weeks, with flagyl, and he also wants me to stuff my butt with cotton balls to help sooth the skin in case there is a flap eventually (no idea why...). Flaygyl is actually an antibiotic, it's the stuff that gave me diarrhea and stomach pain after the surgery...but this is in cream form that you put on the area a few times a day. It's not really based on much evidence except for his personal experience, but he said there's not many options left anyway so I should at least give it a shot.

I agree with you, I'm going back to my other CRS tomorrow to see what he thinks about the availability of skin for a re-flap. He has said all along that he would re-flap me if I didn't heal, and never mentioned that there's not enough skin left...

Colostomy is scary, I don't know if I could do it, or even afford it. If all of medical science can't heal a paper cut in my butt, am I really going to let these guys cut into my colon? I don't trust them to fill a cavity at this point, so I don't know if I could let myself do it.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby owmybum » 14 Jul 2014, 17:13

Stuff your butt with cotton balls?? You what?? I don't get it? Is that to stretch it.... Or with the cream on to keep it there??
Odd.....

I'm glad you've got another appointment for tomorrow.... Let me know how it goes. I don't blame you for not wanting them to give you a colostomy....you have lost all faith in these people, and who could blame you.

In the mean time see how you go with the flagyl.

Have you had anymore HOT??
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby asdf123456 » 14 Jul 2014, 17:29

Apparently he says the cotton is to dry up the moisture that is being secreted from my chronic wound as it tries to heal...(again, never heard of this before). I have still been going to HBOT because it's covered, but I am reaching my breaking point. I am at like 56ish treatments now, and he told me today just keep going... My days literally consist of pooping, sits bath, valium, HBOT, repeat. I told him flat out today that he can expect that in 6 weeks I might be in a straightjacket...not even out of pain, but frustration and shock.

Question- Are you getting botox with your flap? I was considering it but I'm scared now because I've had so much in the past. Has your doctor said anything about it?
asdf123456
VIP

Postby Jbl22424 » 15 Jul 2014, 00:23

I did read somewhere about some one whose fissure healed with a colostomy bag but I cannot recall the source. I think a fresh pair of eyes is definitely in order. I'm sorry you have suffered this long but you cannot go on this way so I think you should really consider it after talking to many surgeons and finding one you truly trust. You are brave and strong for having made it this far.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby owmybum » 15 Jul 2014, 04:04

No..... There was no mention of Botox for me with my flap... And after last time when I actually felt much worse, I would refuse it anyway.

I would be a bit cautious using cotton balls to dry out the wound.... They leave alot of their fibres stuck as the skin dries out..... Just a thought. Could you keep a bit of gauze between your cheeks to do the same job?

Good luck with your appt today x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby asdf123456 » 15 Jul 2014, 16:00

Agreed. Cotton balls sounds so painful too. Just got back from my local CRS. No news...he said he would make some calls. He did say my skin looked a little thinner but he doesn't know why. I do. 1) I am 15-20 pounds underweight. 2) Steroids thin skin.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby Rachael 1984 » 16 Jul 2014, 01:58

Hi ASDF,
I'm really sorry you are still suffering after so many surgeries. You are made of tough stuff! I definitely think you need to see what this new CRS comes up with... Don't give up until you get a solid answer and maybe a new way forwards. I haven't heard of using a colostomy to heal fissures, but I guess it would give everything back there a break. I do think though there has got to be another answer. Please keep fighting, I'm praying for you, and it hope this new CRS is the one to give you another viable option. Xxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 16 Jul 2014, 03:30

I hope you hear back from him soon.

:smilyhug:
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum