To sit or not to sit?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: To sit or not to sit?

Postby lourosa71 » 18 Aug 2014, 10:16

Agint187, sorry to hear that you have to undergo surgery next month. The biggest hindrance to sitting after surgery initially was pain. I think the more you stay off of it (i.e.. on your side, reclined) the better healing will progress. I am now 5 weeks post op, still with seton. Still draining, bleeding, though pain is not nearly as bad as the first two weeks. I sit a lot at work and went back to work approx 10days or so post op. I don't know if that has slowed my healing (the sitting). I have also had to start prednisone, which doesn't help. You are definitely in a tough spot. Are you going to have a seton? Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts. Let us know how you do.
lourosa71

Postby Dewlilly » 18 Aug 2014, 21:11

Hi Agint187 ... Welcome to the site ... I had a fistulotomy with a seton placed and I have to say sitting was my biggest challenge ... I was able to lay on side most the time or sit up but lean to the right or left ... Full on sitting took me a while probably 3-4 weeks ... Everyone is different and it will depend on how complex urs will be ... My cut was about 4inches long which I'm told is a very long one so maybe that's why I was longer be able to sit ... I have read stories on here that some were able to sit within a day or two as their fistula was more superficial ... This site has a lot info and great people who can offer great support with questions and what not ... Keep us updated and maybe start ur own thread so we can follow with u .. Hope all goes well :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby LifeGoesOn » 19 Aug 2014, 09:28

Agint187 I think you could use some kind of "ring cushion". Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Carex-Inflatable- ... 448&sr=1-2
LifeGoesOn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 19 Aug 2014, 12:09

Most CRSs do not recommend using ring cushions (also known as donut cushions) after surgery. They do recommend soaking your rear in a Sitz Bath, which can give a lot of relief.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222