To sit or not to sit?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

To sit or not to sit?

Postby Asore Arseagain » 18 Jul 2014, 07:03

Hi All, its about a week and a half since i had a cutting seton placed in my butt. I am doing well.....high fibre food, lots of sitz baths...so i am feeling quite good..healing is going well....but then Ive been off work, pottering, cooking, tidying..going for walks.....on my feet basically- which has felt good. When it comes to sitting, so far i have been lying on my side etc. I have tentatively tried to sit on my butt, but it hurts.....what to do? Grin and bear it? Or is my body telling me not to sit down yet? I cant imagine trying to drive yet. I dont know whether to go back to work next week....or take more time off, I really want this to work this time and not to scupper my chances.....so do you think its good to get used to sitting again even if it hurts? Or is it best...to avoid sitting and see the pain as a signal to avoid sitting?? Any thoughts appreciated........thanks. AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: To sit or not to sit?

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Jul 2014, 10:06

Don't sit! Listen to your butt!
Give yourself a chance to heal as much as possible before stressing the area.

I say this, because pain can cause spasms - and that's exactly what you don't want.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Asore Arseagain » 19 Jul 2014, 04:48

Thank you :-)
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Postby tll » 20 Jul 2014, 19:02

I sit to drive get in very slowly and out very slowly i still can't sit flat i sit on one side I have had a fistula 1 year next month and 5 different surgeries and a seton and 2 different size drains so yes listen to your butt, dont sit if you do not have to. I had a full time job and had to cut back to 3 days a week because i stand 8 hours a day and it aggravated my fistula so bad my dr, recommended i cut back from standing also for long periods of time. Hope your seton works for you.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Dewlilly » 20 Jul 2014, 20:47

I wasn't able to sit probably til 4-5 weeks and didn't drive til about 6-7 weeks .... I have a desk job and was only able to sit sideways on the coach working from home so headed back to work was scary ... Even the first week back I sat on my leg to take pressure of the right side ... Listen to ur body trust ur self don't rush it if can ... Hope all continues to go well
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby lourosa71 » 21 Jul 2014, 15:27

I am in the exact same boat! I am post op day 10 from a cutting seton/fistulotomy. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow. I work 10hr days and sit approximately half that time at least. I sat up today for the first time on a a pillow at the desk to do bills for an hour and it is quite sore! I have been laying on my side up until now. What I don't know is....is this it? Does this cutting seton ever get more comfortable? Would it benefit me to stay home another week, which I would do if I thought it would be significantly improved. I have to say that so far, every day is better. It certainly is not like I can use the ice pack down there while at my desk! I share my office! I am already packing a fistula fanny pack to include 4x4's, barrier cream, etc. I'm sure I'll adapt, but managing drainage while in the workplace seems daunting. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
lourosa71

Postby Asore Arseagain » 21 Jul 2014, 16:32

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your responses. Dewlilly -thanks its good to have a rough idea of timescales. Tomorrow will b 2 weeks post op for me. It hasn't felt right to sit down properly yet. It does seem to feel better to lay on the side. Lourosa....if you do have the option of another week of I'd take it, I think a week does make a big difference. Is this it?? Well i dont know but mine is still getting more comfortable day by day. What r 4x4's by the way? Good healing to all ! AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Postby lourosa71 » 22 Jul 2014, 18:45

The fistula constantly drains so I use 4x4 gauze pads folded over or 2x2 gauze pads to catch the drainage. I find it preferable to walking around with a wet bum. The gauze can chaff some though. I have found the calmoseptine moisture barrier cream which I really find helpful. How long did they tell you that you would be dealing with the cutting seton? I had a transphencteric fistula (high, I think?). CRS told me 6-8 weeks maybe? Reading through forums, seems like other keep it a lot longer than that, though some of the forums may be referring to draining setons which I think stay in longer? I'm ready to be done with this already! Though, I read that if it cuts too quickly, the muscle doesn't heal well enough and it can increase one's chance of having resulting incontinence. Hope things are going well for you today!
lourosa71

Postby Asore Arseagain » 01 Aug 2014, 16:01

Lourosa thanks for explaining 4x4's. I only have a little drainage,so Iguess I'm lucky. I was told that because my fistula is low and superficial it should be 6 wks till the seton falls out. Yes draining setons can stay in for a long time.Update re sitting....its about three and a half weeks since the Op.I am sitting now,but not for long periods, and its still sore and tender.having to move around a lot at work. Just started driving again too. Thanks for letting me know about the cutting speed and connection to continence - i didnt know about that. I hope it's going well for you too. AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Postby Agint187 » 17 Aug 2014, 22:59

Hi All,

I saw this thread and I must say, it scares the s*** out of me. :( I'm in a wheelchair, and will be having a fistulotomy in September, and not being able to stand at all during post op is probably my greatest fear when I think about the operation. Is it going to be bad?
Agint187

Topics: 1