botox tomorrow

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

botox tomorrow

Postby jlm1 » 24 Jul 2014, 12:13

Hi all,

So this isn't my first post and sadly, I'm still dealing with this terrible pain and depression from this whole fiasco. I was diagnosed with a fissure June 5th, used nitro which hasn't worked. Although in the beginning, I though it was working. Then saw a CRS 2 weeks ago. Upon doing a rectal exam, she did not see a fissure but saw ulcerated hemorrhoids. Gave me a compound cream and dibucaine which also haven't worked. Finally called the doctor and insisted on the next step as I was still in pain. Yesterday, I went to the hospital and was thankfully knocked out so that the doctor could take a closer look. Turns out I do have a significant and deep fissure that was probably hidden by the hemorrhoids that surprisingly are not causing the pain. I think, anyway. Because I'm 38, plan on having another child and because she wants to do the least invasive thing first, she recommended botox injection. she things this will be very successful. I have agreed because, quite frankly, something has to be done. I cam tired of being in so much pain and my life being on hold. I rarely leave the house and am laying down most of the day. It's very depressing.
So I'm scheduled to have this botox injection tomorrow at her office. i'm really afraid of doing this while awake. Although I guess I have been in so much pain, how bad can this really be? Doc said it's like the flu shot. In my rear end. Has anyone else had this done while awake? I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks again for your help and support. Hope everyone is finding some relief and are on their way to healing.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: botox tomorrow

Postby Apes » 24 Jul 2014, 15:22

jim1, so sorry you are suffering so badly. I too went through hell. i got my fissure Feb 13 of this year and after misdiagnosis and then the creams that did nothing finally had botox on May 5th. I'm doing really, have a follow up next week and really believe I'm healed. Minor discomfort from a sentinel tag.
I was under general anesthesia for my procedure.I do have a couple of thoughts for you. First why not be knocked out? if they knocked you out to look for the fissure I think it would be wise to do so for the injection. I did extensive research on botox, and that is what leads me to this recommendation. Botox is most effective when given in significant amounts and injected in the right place. I had 30 units in on each side of the fissure and 14 or 16 units injected directly into the fissure. If your fissure was that hard to find i would ask where she plans on injecting the botox. Also, sometimes along with an injection the doctor will clean up the edges of the fissure to help in the healing process.
Take a look at this link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840903/ for more info.
If you click the table in the OUTCOME AND SAFETY: PUBLISHED STUDIES section you can read the individual studies.
Without other complications going into this you sound like a great candidate for botox. I'm sorry i have pointed out some potential negatives as to how I hear the procedure is going to be performed, but i think you should be as informed as possible.
I know you are suffering but i would question the doctor as to the points i made. I don't know from a pain level about getting botox without anesthesia, but from what I do know about location of injection I would want to be under.
If I can be of any other assistance please do not hesitate, we can do it through this thread or PM. I wish you the very best.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby jlm1 » 25 Jul 2014, 08:50

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! I am going to keep my appointment today, ask questions and then make a decision from there. I guess I can always choose to reschedule and be knocked out. At this point though, part of me feels, how it anything be much worse than the pain I've been in. So, I'll take it one minute at a time. I'll let you know how it goes!
That is so great that your fissure has healed!! I wish you much happiness and reentry into your life. Hope this never comes back for you, ever. I know that once I am healed I will be careful and vigilant for the rest of my life. I do believe though that everyone has their weak spot. Evidently this is mine. but hopefully all can be controlled by diet and supplements.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Apes » 25 Jul 2014, 08:55

Good luck to you today, Ill be thinking of you.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby jlm1 » 25 Jul 2014, 15:16

So I survived the injections! Had 2, don't know the quantity but it wasn't a great deal. My CRS is very gentle and it really was not too bad at all. Felt like a pinch, burned a little. The second one hurt more than the first and I cried out a bit but it really was over quickly. Now I;m feeling some burning and stinging there. I know this does not work immediately. What can I expect? Is there really a chance this will help it heal? I asked my CRS and she was positive. Said my fissure was in a classic place and should heal. Of course, it is always nice to hear directly from others who have sone through this. I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in a while, even if I am still in pain from this. Really hoping that I don;t have to have a BM until later......don;t want to deal yet.
Thanks for all the support! I will continue to share my progress and truly hope you are all having a pain free day or moment. and if you are not, hang in there......:)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 26 Jul 2014, 03:34

My Botox took around a week to fully kick in. I would suggest taking it easy for a few days.
I'm glad the experience wasn't too bad for you, and I really hope yours is a success story.
Eat sensibly, drink plenty, and rest up!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Apes » 26 Jul 2014, 05:24

So happy for you. My first few days were a little rough. As the doctor told me it should be no worse then the fissure pain before like that's a good thing. It also took about 7 days to kick in and kept getting better week by week after that. I did get additional swelling from an external hem and still have it although much smaller. I kept a diary of my BMS what I ate fiber and stool softeners and pain levels. I found it helpful. Take it slow as OMB Said drink plenty of water keep your BM soft. Keep us posted.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP