9 days after botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

9 days after botox

Postby jlm1 » 03 Aug 2014, 09:35

Hi,

So my mornings have been pretty bad pain wise. I usually have 2 bm's and then am in bad pain for 4-5 hours after. Then I have been mostly ok and even pain free for the rest of the day day, unless I have another bm. Originally I was eating a ton of fiber. But I have recently switched to a low residue diet. (eggs, yogurt, chicken soup, creamed spinach-just a little, and soft boiled veggies) I think this has helped me have less bm's which means less spasms. I swear, I keep on reading all kinds of conflicting info. I also am taking magnesium, stool softener, tumeric, wheatgrass oil, this supplement called msm 900, seabuckthorn oil and vitamin b6. Kinda crazy, right? I feel like I should be much more improved by now, I mean I am still fairly debilitated a good part of the day. And I am starting to panic as I return to work soon. ( teacher) I can't imagine working like this. I am also taking valium which doe take the edge off at times. And now to make things even more complicated for the moment, I am expecting my period any moment. (sorry for the guys who are reading this but whatever....it's not like you don;t know about that!) This males it worse as it throws off my digestion and bowels even more. ugh...
I spoke with the doctor yesterday and she said that I have to give the botox a full 2 weeks to work before discussing next step; surgery. I really hope it doesn't come to this. So tell me fellow botox people, do you think there is still a chance this will kick in and work? I am thinking about getting a second opinion tomorrow from a doctor at columbian presbyterian.
Such a crappy way to spend a summer I tell you. I can't believe that I have been in pain since june. Hate that I can't take care of ym daughter at times. Thank god I have such a great partner and family. But it is still depressing.
Hope you are all finding comfort and pain free moments or better yet no pain at all!!
Thanks for listening :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: 9 days after botox

Postby owmybum » 03 Aug 2014, 10:26

Hi,
Sorry you are suffering so much, and the Botox hasn't fully kicked in yet.
If I remember, mine took the full 2 weeks to really kick in... And you can certainly feel when it does.. Maybe you just need that extra bit of time.
It's also really common to feel super sore just before you get your period. I think it feels like I've been scraped with a cheese grater... It's not nice!
Try to rest up.... Take some long warm baths if you can, and hopefully you will feel the benefit soon

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Sakura1 » 03 Aug 2014, 11:37

Hi jlm1

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I have botox lined up in a couple of weeks and the more I read up, the less I am looking forward to it!

I had months of pain until a dietician put me on a low residue diet. I eat white bread, small amounts of cheese, cereal (cornflakes, frosties, coco pops), rich tea biscuits, plain white cake (madeira, sponge), croissants, jelly, ice cream, boiled sweets etc. If I keep the food level right I only have 1 bm per day and it just falls out with stool softener.

My average day would be cereal for breakfast, croissant & chocolate spread for lunch, cheese mayo sandwich for tea (just 1 piece of bread and small amount of cheese). Snacks are couple of biscuits, jelly or ice cream or cake plus maybe 8 boiled sweets per day. I drink at least 5 pints of water and squash per day.

This diet does result in weight loss and I would not recommend it long term, but in the short term to help you reduce BM's and your pain it might be worth a try? It just gives you a chance to heal. I don't need to tell you how much pain I would be in if I have more than 1 bm a day!

Best of luck with it all
Sakura1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby jlm1 » 03 Aug 2014, 12:39

Thank you owmybum, you are giving me hope that this still might work! Yeah, having a period in the midst of this is just a bummer and makes everything worse. I'm trying to hang on there

Sakura1, thanks for the suggestions. Did you say that you ate squash? It's so funny because my doctor told me to have a high fiber diet which I have been doing for years. Since I have always struggled a bit with constipation, I am very vigilant about eating lots of veggies, leafy greens. Anyway, my mom (who is a nurse) suggested that I was having too much fiber and these last few days I have been switching to low residue. Since this whole things began in June, I've lost a good 15 pounds. Under normal circumstances, I would be happy about this. But I would trade that weight back in a second for this horrible pain to go away. Since I have stopped with the fiber, I have only been having a bm or 2 actually in the morning.None at night which is great because I have been in pain for hours after my morning bm. ugh....
As for botox, I had my injections in the office. I took a valium before and honestly, it really wasn't that bad. Doc had me bend over cleaned the area, gently put a finger in to find the location and then I had 2 injections. They were quick. On the second one I cried out a bit but really it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think that after experiencing the kind of pain we have, it's not too bad. Hope I offered you some comfort! And I hope this darn botox starts taking full effect for me soon.
Keep me posted with your progress
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Apes » 03 Aug 2014, 13:45

Jim1, hang in there. Diet is amazing, everyone needs to find what's right for them. It can take a lot of tweeking. Have you noticed any change in pain since Botox?
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Sakura1 » 03 Aug 2014, 13:52

Hi jlm1

The squash is a drink (cordial) which I drink because I am not a huge fan of plain water. Low residue definitely saved me from a lot of pain. When everyone else was telling me to go high fiber, the dietician was the only person that seemed to recognise how much trouble it was causing me. I am glad your mum has done the same for you.

My surgeon is putting me under general for the injections so he can have a look around while he is down there. I'm just a bit nervous about how much it will hurt when I wake up :)
Sakura1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Apes » 03 Aug 2014, 13:59

Sakura1, I highly recommend anesthesia. Unfortunately the truth about pain after as my doctor told it is no worse then the fissure pain before. She was trying to cheer me up saying that but my pain was intolerable before. In the end the pain after was not fun but not quite as bad. After day 10 every week got a little better. I stress a little better.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby jlm1 » 03 Aug 2014, 14:26

Apes- I had one good day so far, Tuesday. I was in little pain after bm. Even took a long walk which I haven't done in a while. I used to be very active; run, eliptical, walk everywhere. Maybe I pushed myself too much? Since then, I have basically had bad pain for 4-5 hours after bm in morning and then pretty much pain free the rest of the day. Amazingly enough, I think the low residue diet is helping. But I feel like I should be much better by now. The pain in the morning is just as bad as it has been. So maybe I am expecting too much too soon? I don't know. The doctor will see me this week but I don't really see the point since she said we have to give botox a full 2 weeks. Friday will be 2 full weeks. Depending on how these next few days go, I am considering going to see that Dr Feingold that I have heard some good things about.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jlm1 » 03 Aug 2014, 14:30

Sakura1- My doctor put me under first so that she could have a good look. That is when she finally saw the deep fissure. I guess I was too tense during the rectal exam so she thought it was hemorrhoids. After I woke up I had some swelling of some external hemorrhoids (as I am blessed with those bastards too!) but they didn't hurt and the swelling went down in a day. I think you will be ok!! Hope your procedure goes smooth and brings you relief
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Apes » 03 Aug 2014, 14:44

Jim1, Friday is a king way away. I think you will seem some improvement. I'm in the neck of the woods up in CT. Off topic where do you teach? Both my kids are in college and want to be teachers
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP