Major setback...feeling hopeless.

Will I ever be able to eat normal again?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Major setback...feeling hopeless.

Postby mmklinemm » 06 Aug 2014, 22:56

I haven't had any pain the last few weeks. I felt completely healed - to the point I was mentally writing my success story post. I've kept using nifedipene even though I felt good. I've been following a wheat- and dairy-free diet since this all started based on advice I read here. I felt so much better without those in my diet. Then last week, we went to visit family for a birthday. I wasn't looking forward to 3 nights in a hotel, but I went prepared. I ate really well the whole time, except the night of the birthday party. Two beers and a very small piece of ice cream cake. I just wanted to feel normal around my in-laws. I had terrible diarrhea the next few days, which caused a re-tear. It feels deeper and bigger than the first. The pain is so much worse. I'm so scared of my BM tomorrow. I feel so hopeless that this is never going to heal. I don't mind eating this way to heal, but I can't imagine eating oat bran, sweet potatoes, and salad day in and day out for the rest of my life. And I don't know why ice cream is tearing up my bowels like this. I used to eat greek yogurt every morning and ice cream all the time. Regardless, it's back to taking baths, preemptive motrin, and dreading every morning.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: Major setback...feeling hopeless.

Postby Alyssa » 07 Aug 2014, 00:24

Mm,

I'm sorry to hear about your setback...I think we all have felt hopeless about healing and then we get tricked by our good days. I too miss eating all the yummy foods; my diets consists of chicken, steam rice, vegetables, salad, whole grain/ wheat stuff and lots of water, I am tired of it! I want to be able to eat whatever I want. How long have you been on nifedipine?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Keesia » 07 Aug 2014, 02:15

I'm so sorry. It's so unfair that you have managed so well several weeks and then there's only one time... I definitely know what that is like, it's my third week recovering from a setback - I neither had fissures anymore, but it took only couple of seconds to have re-tears. Now I'm better than then, and I hope you'll get better too.

I just want everyone here to fully heal.
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby mmklinemm » 07 Aug 2014, 09:09

Thank, guys. It's so helpful to know everyone here can empathize. My husband understands what I'm going through, but he can't fully appreciate the level of pain. This morning was very painful, but better than yesterday. I'm thankful for that. I also learned that adding shredded coconut to my smoothie is very, very bad. I think I'm just going to stick with the foods I know are safe for a few months. No more branching out or testing myself no matter how good I feel. It's hard to accept this is my new normal. I want everyone to fully heal, too. It's just so demoralizing when we have setbacks. I was so upset to see that JBL just had a re- tear, too, after her LIS. Her success story was so inspiring.

Alyssa - I've been using nifedipine 3x/day for 7 1/2 weeks.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 07 Aug 2014, 23:58

Mm,

I was told to use it for 8 weeks and if there is no improvement then go back to the Doctor, have you contacted your doctor for a follow up on what steps to take next?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Jbl22424 » 08 Aug 2014, 00:42

Thanks, mm, ya that was a big bummer for me. Today was good though so I hope it's just a temporary setback. The diet thing was so hard for me. Before surgery I was extremely strict, no bread, meat, dairy, alcohol, Etc. I gave up everything I loved. It made me miserable. I don't think I would do that again because of how it affected my psyche. And I'm not sure it even made a big difference for me. Miralax has always been my savior.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Keesia » 08 Aug 2014, 02:59

JBL, I send you my best wishes and hope you'll get healed!
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby mmklinemm » 08 Aug 2014, 08:42

Alyssa - My CRS didn't give me a lot of info. He just told me to eat about 30g of fiber a day and to try the nifedipine. He said if I don't feel better to come back and we'll discuss LIS. I've read a few studies that indicate 12 weeks on nifedipine has the highest healing rate. I'm going to try that and maintain my diet. If that doesn't work, I found another CRS in the same group that I have a better feeling about seeing.

JBL - I hope it's temporary for you, too. I wish miralax was the answer for me. I've tried it, and it seems to make things worse for me. My problem is BMs that are too loose. That's what hurts me. Constipation from antibiotics caused my fissure, but I haven't been constipated since. Which is really weird because it was a problem for 2 years after my hysterectomy. I had to use metamucil every night up until I got this fissure. Now, I have no problems going as long as I eat about 30g fiber each day. Since cutting dairy out, every time I've tested myself with it I have diarrhea. I think it's lactose. Aged cheddar (naturally lactose free) and lactose free kefir are OK, but anything else is so, so bad.

This morning was better than yesterday, so I'm thankful for that.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Sakura1 » 11 Aug 2014, 15:49

Mmklienemm, i was advised to use lacto free milk and cut down dairy by my dietician. I find I can now tolerate skimmed milk to a degree with just a bit of gas after drinking a skinny latte.

I still have lacto free on my cereal though
Sakura1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby mmklinemm » 11 Aug 2014, 21:56

Did your dietitian test to see if you're lactose intolerant or was the advice based on your symptoms? From what I can tell reading online, it sounds like you have to drink something with lactose for the test, but I don't know for sure. I'm too scared to do that right now. I've been avoiding dairy completely, except for small amounts of cheddar and kefir. Coconut milk has been a great substitute for cooking, baking, smoothies, coffee, even ice cream.
mmklinemm
VIP