Advice and questions

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice and questions

Postby Rainbow28 » 03 Oct 2014, 17:15

Hello all I'm new here!
Quick backstory. I was bleeding a lot with every BM (sorry tmi)for about two months before I got to see a doctor.He did a scope and told me I have a fissure and ibs. He didn't seem too concerned about the bleeding.Even tho from what I've heard fissures don't bleed as much as mine is.I was prescribed diltiazem %2 ointment to use 3x a day and for almost two weeks I was free of bleeding but it's back again with a vengeance. I've been sticking to a diet and using stool softeners so I'm quite depressed im back to stage one.
My bleeding is always heavy.. accompied by bloating,back pain,constant urge to go and gas. Does anyone else experience that too or offer any advice/tips.. I'm scared about all this and the toll it's had on my day to day has got me down in the dumps :(
Rainbow28

Topics: 1

Re: Advice and questions

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Oct 2014, 23:59

Dear Rainbow, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having such a bad time. Unfortunately fissures can take a long time to heal, and it can be two steps forward, one step back for a long time - months sometimes. The good news is that you do usually get better over time - it won't always be this bad. Two weeks is still quite a short time.

Is your bloating, pain and gas to do with IBS? Did your doctor say anything about how to treat your IBS, and about diet etc? There are quite a few people with IBS here who can probably offer advice, and you can also use the search function.

How much blood are you seeing? Blood doesn't necessarily come from a fissure, you could also have internal hemmorhoids, which can also bleed quite a lot. Fissures and hemmies can be caused by similar things (constipation, straining) so many people have both. It's always alarming to see blood, but the blood loss itself may not be a concern, unless it really is a lot.

I wish I could help more, but know that many people have had experiences like yours, and can offer advice. Keep up the diltiazem, and learn as much as you can about fissures. The more you know, the more you get out of your doctor's visits.

Glad you found us!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Advice and questions

Postby Apes » 05 Oct 2014, 04:29

Sorry to hear you are struggling, unfortunately getting rid of a fissure is a struggle and will take time. Maybe go back to the doc and see if the fissure is open. Like scientist said blood although scary is not always the fissure. I would use pain as my guide to how bad my fissure WAS. If things don't get better within 6 weeks you may need to go to the next step, LIS or Botox. Keep with a diet that works to keep your BMS soft. good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17