So much despair!

I just can't do this again!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: So much despair!

Postby msimon » 28 Oct 2014, 17:50

Wow Suavecito! It sounds like you have been through quite the ordeal for that period of time. I know what you mean about getting constipated due to the spasming muscle. I too have had that issue. I have to say that I am surprised and concerned that your surgeon did not try you on an ointment first as this is nearly always standard protocol before surgery. These ointments will relax the internal sphincter as well and increase blood flow to the area. There are never any guarantees with any surgery and there are aways risks. Is this surgeon a colorectal surgeon? You will want to make sure they are very experienced with this surgery. You didn't mention the consistency of your stools. Many on here have had great success with stool softeners to keep the BM damage to a minimum.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby suavecito » 28 Oct 2014, 20:35

Hey M, I was offered nitro cream but decided against it. I can count the number of headaches Ive had in my life on both hands, but when I do get one, its horrible. Also, the surgeon that did the colonoscopy warned against it because of all the side effects. After reading up on the side effects, i decided to tough it out. I havent taken any meds throughout this whole ordeal because my doc said pain meds cause hard stools and can thin the blood. Since there has been blood streaks in my stool, I dont want to use those either. I have used stool softners, fiber chews, metamucil, and probiotic supplements the last week to try and figure out my stomach issues because regularity is not my strong point. Thanks for your help.
suavecito
Fibre Addict

Postby back(side)again » 28 Oct 2014, 20:50

There are some other non-nitro creams - for example, nifedipine lidocaine or ditalizm (sp?).
LIS does have a 98% success rate. In terms of it being a permanent, I suppose if it works, and it heals the fissure, then you have a permanent fix to that particular fissure, but I don't think it prevents you from getting another fissure in the future. I suppose it does lessen the spinchter muscle tone for at least a while, so it could also allow future fissures more time to heal...
Pain began in Feb 2013
Diagnosed with AF in June 2013
Conservative treatment with nifidepine lidocaine June 2013-Oct. 2013
Botox & tag removal in Oct. 2013
Botox in Dec. 2013 (provided pain relief)
LIS in March 2014
Fissure healed in June 2014
back(side)again
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby powderblue » 07 Nov 2014, 12:11

For what it is worth, I had LIS done and it did not help. :(
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10