How much can a fissure bleed?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much can a fissure bleed?

Postby Phil McCrackin » 06 May 2014, 04:24

Hi,

So I'm still dealing with a chronic fissure (just over 3 years) but on and off for the last week it's been bleeding very heavily. I just had a BM and the entire toilet bowl was filled with bright blood and it was dripping out of my bottom so much that I had to keep patting it dry for a few minutes afterwards until it finally stopped. (Sorry for the details).

This has only happened a few times before with the fissure but that was always after I ate nuts. I do eat quite a lot of wheat products, cheese and white rice - could this be irritating it?

But the strange thing was that the BM was painless, but that seems to be where the bleeding was coming from, because like a cut I had to dab the fissure with toilet paper to make it stop bleeding.

Has anyone else experienced a lot of bleeding with their fissures?
And can you have a painless BM which causes a fissure to bleed so much?

Cheers!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: How much can a fissure bleed?

Postby Aussie_Fissure » 06 May 2014, 05:06

Ive figured out that cheese (especially yellow cheese like cheddar) and nuts tend to affect the area and that panadol (paracetamol) does too... I also had a lot of bleeding after I tore my anus 2 months ago but it was pretty painful too.
Aussie_Fissure

Topics: 2

Postby Roidsfizzman » 06 May 2014, 10:56

Hi Phil

Cheese makes my stools hard and I love to eat cheese. In my opinion cheese is the worst food to eat with a fissure. I also have had a fissure over 3 years and I am a life time user of MiraLax per two doctors. You should try not eating any cheese for a couple of weeks and see how it works. I have had the same amount of blood that you note after a bad BM. I find the correct amount of fiber is important as too much fiber will also make my stools too large. The meal that worked best for me was a fish taco, black beans, brown rice and corn. The stools were perfect size and soft, I over did the meal and my body adjusted and it became like any other meal, so now when I need soft stools I go back to this meal. Find the diet what works best for you, but you will need to mix it up as our bodies adjust. Good Luck
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Phil McCrackin » 07 May 2014, 03:52

Thanks for the replies.
So I might lay off the cheese for a while then! Had another very bloody BM this morning, and my butt feels quite raw. I've been applying some zinc cream and hope it will settle down tomorrow. The bleeding always comes during the last part of the BM. The first part is usually fine.

@Roidsfizzman I take Movicol every night before bed but it doesn't seem to heal the fissure, even though the BMs are soft. Sorry to hear you've had a fissure for over 3 years. Have you thought about any surgery, Botox or anal dilation treatment? I've tried all the creams, soaking in sitzbaths, diets and drinking 3 litres of water a day, but nothing has worked. I think surgery is now my only option.

Cheers.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Postby Roidsfizzman » 07 May 2014, 11:20

Hi Phil

I did the LIS surgery 9 days ago. I also had used many treatments. In early March after a bad BM I could feel the fissure tear with lots of blood and it would not heal with soft stools. I was in pain 8 weeks after a BM from 4 to 8 hours each day and I opted for surgery.

Philip
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Phil McCrackin » 08 May 2014, 04:23

Hi Philip,

Do you feel the LIS has healed your fissure, or is it too early to tell? I'm interested to know because I'll probably be going down that path sometime soon. It's just not going to heal on it own after three years. I do have the option of trying Botox or the anal dilation in the hospital first, which I'd prefer rather than cutting the muscle down there. Please let us know how you get on.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Postby Roidsfizzman » 08 May 2014, 19:35

Hi Phil,

I am on day 9 post Surgery and it is too early to tell if it is going to heal. The healing process is 6 to 8 weeks. Each day I do get a little better and I am hopeful for a full recovery. I still am getting some pain during the BM and some nerve spikes but the horrible after BM pain that could last for hours is gone. I had considered the Botox, but I was tired of the on going process and my doctor felt that I had a 50% chance of a future issue with Botox. My fissure is internal with a small hood and rounded skin on the sides. The hood and rounded edges were removed during surgery. My doctor felt that I had a 95% chance to heal the fissure with the LIS. I did not want to do two hospital gigs if the Botox did not work. You need to do the treatment that you are confortable with. I never considered dialation as an option as I was concerned with doing more damage to the fissure.

The current issue that I have is how to keep the stools soft but not have to go too many times in a day. I will error on the soft side at this time as I do not want a hard stools.

Philip
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist