How much does activity hurt fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much does activity hurt fissure?

Postby William2 » 27 Feb 2017, 08:20

I've been staying away from work alot lately because it's uncomfortable to drive, sit, or (to a lesser degree) stand. I have the least pain when I lay on my stomach, so I've been staying home and doing that most of the time. However, I'm starting to put my job at risk. I feel like I'm going to have to start going in regularly, regardless of the pain.

The question is, does this discomfort mean that I'm doing damage to the fissure? If I can deal with the pain, will it have a significant impact on whether the fissure will heal? It's been about five weeks now and the fissure hasn't really improved much, even though the nifedipine seems to be loosening things up well. If it doesn't get better soon, I'm going to enter "chronic" territory and need surgery, which I desperately hope to avoid. Am I babying it too much? Is it not worth the risk to much job and, ultimately, my insurance?
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Re: How much does activity hurt fissure?

Postby mmklinemm » 28 Feb 2017, 21:14

It probably depends on what your job duties entail. I think if your job isn't too rigorous or have heavy lifting, it shouldn't cause any further problems. I find that some walking/slow running/physical activity actually helps mine feel better. Have you asked your doctor? Does ibuprofen help? Maybe try applying a lidocaine-type ointment to numb the area. My CRS gave me some when I had my first fissure. I just ordered the same ointment from Amazon when I suspected a new fissure. Search for dibucaine, if you think it might help.

Best of luck!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: How much does activity hurt fissure?

Postby William2 » 01 Mar 2017, 12:17

I've had bad reactions to lidocaine and nupercainal, so I apparently have to avoid "-caine" drugs.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24