can't seem to make up my mind about LIS

asking for advice - again

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: can't seem to make up my mind about LIS

Postby jay2502 » 24 Dec 2014, 09:45

is LIS such a big deal?
i too am in the same boat as to whether to go for it, or not.

the way its talked about by surgeons and medical websites. it seems like a fairly small procedure with little or no 'down time'.

but when i come on this forum it always seems to be made out to be quite a big deal? why?
its confusing me.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby msimon » 24 Dec 2014, 12:28

Because it IS. It seems to me that Doctors are really bad for downplaying recovery time and expectations to their patients. Mine still insists 2 weeks to full healing is what he gets. There are certainly some on here that have bounced back really fast and healed up quickly. You do, however, have to be aware that some of us struggle for a long time afterwards. I got an infection which set me back. I also have pelvic floor dysfunction (so it's not just the internal sphincter that is a problem for me) so I am having a lot more pain and still trouble with bowel movements. Some of us also have IBS, which can interfere with achieving consistently soft BMs, which is vital. The LIS also doesn't heal everyone, for whatever reason. You can also have incontinence issues (mainly to gas or some seepage for a while after a BM). So it gives one a lot to think about, in my opinion. Not to mention the painful BMs the week after surgery had me in the most pain I have had since my hemorrhoidectomy, but then again I guess my fissure must not have been as painful as some have. I am 6 weeks post-surgery tomorrow and honestly don't know of I'd do it again. Looking back, I think the botox was more helpful to me. Time will tell, and unfortunately for me, I think a lot of time...

If you don't have any other issues (as I mentioned above) then you would probably fare quite well I would think (in the hands of a very experienced Doctor of course). Best wishes with whatever decision you make :)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby zippitydoodah » 24 Dec 2014, 16:38

I agree with msimon.

I think another thing that makes it a big deal is that it's really an elective surgery. AF can make your life extremely uncomfortable, but it will not kill you. Often when people go into surgery it's a life or death thing and that's a no-brainer; here it's a quality of life issue and you really have to weigh whether you're willing to go through the painful process and take the risk for something that may or may not work out for you (and sometimes actually makes life harder).

There's also the fact that some people do heal on their own without surgery... so it's also a question of how long you're willing to wait for progress.

And on top of that, it's just embarrassing. People don't want to have doctors poking around there, and to have to explain to their bosses that they may need to be out for two or more weeks because of butt surgery and possible incontinence.

I'm sure there are other factors, too, but that's what came to my mind.
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Jsingh » 24 Dec 2014, 18:52

I have had two LIS procedures ....I am nowhere close to fully cured and still have residual burning almost constantly although the fissure has healed.If you look at my previous posts my son had the kenalog procedure and has done very well.I am aware that this procedure is not available everywhere but if possible I would advise looking into it.A second choice would be the anal dilatation which seems to be making a comeback.Of course this is done in a controlled manner.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby soey » 25 Dec 2014, 02:03

Thank you all for giving helpful advice. My CRS is putting me to sleep(yeay!) Janusry 8th and will probobly do LIS and put a band on a hemmie at the same time.
My fissure keeps hesling and retearing, and its doing so much damage to me mentally. No, it is not a life or death-thing, but I cannot enjoy life anymore because of this. Besides, I had the spasms and LIS will hopefully make sure I dont get those back.. My body cannot take another round of that.

msimon,
How could you have so much truoble with BM's after LIS? the incision shouldnt be inside your anus? I hope and pray that my recovery will go alittle more smooth, bacause my fissure is not that painful anymore, its just discomfort, burning after a BM aaaaand the good old sandpaper feeling during the day sometimes (I do have days with 0 pain).
My CRS is supposed to be one of the best in the country(Personally, I think thats bullshit), so I should be in good hands.
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Postby soey » 25 Dec 2014, 02:07

Embarrassing? after dealing with this for 1 year, and 9 YEARS on/off before that, this aint embarrassing anymore. Everybody eats and everybody poops.
I understand that some people might put off going to the doctor and so on bacause they dont want anybody looking up there, but thats not me. I've told everyone I know what the problem is and they understand when I say 'my whole butthole kinda exploded a while back.. Pain you can't even imagine'. :P
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 25 Dec 2014, 12:23

I am wondering how it's happening too Soey. Really at a loss here. The incision is kind of tucked up inside due to swelling. My fissure wasn't as painful as my incision site is...still. 6 weeks today! Don't know what to do to heal the darn thing. Looking forward to seeing my CRS on Jan.13. to see what he thinks.

Where are you located Soey? I agree about the embarrassment thing. Nothing to be embarrassed about.
msimon

Postby soey » 25 Dec 2014, 12:51

Tucked up because of swelling? That sounds painful. LIS should always be the last option, and in my case it is. I also have IBS, so keeping my stools perfect isnt always easy. I had a good talk with my CRS, and she says the incision site is never inside the anus, so pooping shouldnt be a problem UNLESS You have a active fissure. If my fissure would have been as bad as it was back in february, I would probobly not have been able to deal with the pain from surgery.
I'm From norway btw :)
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 25 Dec 2014, 13:35

Since the surgery, my incision site has bothered me more than the fissure, which was actually pretty bad just before the surgery. The incision site feels like a bad fissure to me. I guess the fissure I had couldn't have been that bad then? The incision site is barely on the outside (it's in a groove that would have to be spread to be seen which is obviously not a good idea to do and don't do) and every BM runs past/opens it and makes it burn and my sphincter spasm. What I can't understand is the sphincter spasm...

Also, everytime I try to sit it feels like it opens.

Are you having an open or closed LIS?
msimon

Postby soey » 25 Dec 2014, 14:23

You still have sphincter spasms? And its 6 weeks since you had the surgery? Maybe they have to get back in there? I didnt know you had the incision site so close to your anus. That sounds absolutely terrible.
I'm sorry, open or closed LIS? I havent been asking my CRS too many questions yet, in case I start overthinking things.

Are you trying to rest and lie down as much as possible? Sitting doesnt sound like the best idea, and you should probobly avoid that for a few weeks if possible. I didnt sit down for months when my fissure was active.. to this day I still cant get comfy putting my whole bodyweight on my butt..
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist