How high up can a fissure be?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How high up can a fissure be?

Postby volans » 25 Dec 2014, 00:16

I always assumed that a fissure is typically very close to the opening of the anus. Well I saw a colorectal surgeon for the first time and he told me the reason the nitroglycerin was not working is that I wasn't applying the cream far in enough, due to my fissure being quite high up.

This time around I insert my entire finger in (~ 3.5 inches?) when I apply the cream, although I still haven't really seen any improvement. The colorectal surgeon assured me the fissure was not large, and it would heal in 2 weeks (given that this pain has been with me for exactly a year, I'm not too optimistic about that). I asked him what to do if it doesn't heal, and he said "it will" and sent me out of his office.

Well I don't know what to do. Is it possible the cream is still not going in far enough? Could dilation help if the cut is this far in? I don't know where to go from here. I am still applying the cream although I don't expect any results.
volans
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: How high up can a fissure be?

Postby suko » 25 Dec 2014, 03:47

Is there any way u could call your colorectal surgeon and ask if he or she could be more specific about how far up the fissure is so that you would at least have some idea?
suko
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby cracked82 » 01 Jan 2015, 17:17

I was told by someone else on this forum that it wasn't necessary to apply the gtn ointment inside the anus, but that putting it around the outside was good enough. I tried a few times to insert my finger inside to apply the ointment but found that it just caused the fissure to become infected and found that leaving it alone worked better. I am 15 months into suffering on and off with a fissure and am having exploratory surgery in February, gtn and diltiazem ointment both weren't successful for me. I would love to know how far "up" my fissure goes. Maybe I'll find out... Good luck x
cracked82
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 4018 » 08 Jan 2015, 18:01

The ointment is to relax and dilate the anal sphincter muscle to allow blood to reach the whole anus, so it should be applied just inside the anal opening, no where else. No point trying to get it further in beyond the sphincter!
Deleted User 4018

Postby msimon » 09 Jan 2015, 12:36

The length of the internal sphincter is only 2-2.5 cm so higher than that is not going to do any good. Application to the opening of the anus should be enough as it gets absorbed and transmitted to the rest of the muscle that way. Probably best to not be putting anything inside with an active fissure...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Jan 2015, 01:28

Nitroglycerin is very well absorbed and is transported quickly around the body (think about it - putting on your anus can give you a headache). So I wouldn't worry about trying to put it up inside. It will get to where it needs to be.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16