My fistula story

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

My fistula story

Postby Garrod » 27 Dec 2014, 08:02

Hi all,

I discovered this forum right after I had a fistula surgery, wished I knew about it before, but in any case it helps a whole lot to hear about your experiences!

Today is my Day 11 after simple fistula surgery - developed after a long lasting and painful abscess...

Did it in local anesthesia (couldn't do total), was uncomfortable but bearable. Fistulotomy with curettage.
Out of the hospital on Day 2, no antibiotics prescribed, but have to do sitzbaths in Postassium Permanganate solution (great antiseptic), 3 or 4x per dayuntil the wound heals completely. I didn't need the whole package change by the nurse, after sitzbath I'd just change the gauze so as the discharge doesn't leak out...

Had a check-up by my surgeon on Day 9, said all is going well, looks good, no more check-ups needed. Me happy ;) I didn't look at the wound, but under my fingers it already feels smaller and just feels better.

But... since out of the hospital, I am on painkillers 3 times per day... and I have a lot of pain just before the BM and several hours after that (with my diet I keep it soft, and it's regular, so I don't think that's the problem). And painkillers don't help much, sometime they start working an hour or two after I take them... The pain doesn't seem to come form the wound (outside), but more like a stinging and throbbing pain inside the anus (maybe the other side of the wound?), like a pressure and stinging... so painful, can't do anything the whole day long, my days are wasted with struggling with the pain. Doctor didn't say much about it, I guess it's normal?
I was afraid of another infection, but doctor said it looked good...Maybe I got a fissure in the meantime??

I really hoped the pain will stop after week 1... anyone experienced longer pain after simple fistula surgery? Ot it's just my pain treshold that is too low? :cry:

Thanks, guys, any advice would help...
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: My fistula story

Postby msimon » 27 Dec 2014, 12:46

Hi Garrod. Welcome the the forum (nobody really wants to have to find). I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I wonder if your internal sphincter may be spasming much like it would with an anal fissure due to all the work done in the area. I wonder if one of the fissure ointments would be something you could try (nifedipine, nitroglycerine, or diltiazem). Muscle relaxants might be something else to try...

Also, are you keeping on a pain med schedule? If you wait for them to wear off before the next dose it is hard to get ahead of it again. Best to keep ahead of it wearing off.

Have you tried soaking in a warm bath (if you are allowed to do that)? Hope you find something that helps.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Garrod » 28 Dec 2014, 18:45

Hi msimon,
Thanks a lot! The pain does feel the same as when my abscess started - maybe had a fissure before it, but wasn't diagnosed on time - so it's possible that the sphincter is spasming? Warm baths work well, but the pain comes back right after. Now I try to keep the painkillers on schedule (earlier I would have made longer break during the night, so first half of the next day was unbearable), and it is much better now! Hopefully the pain won't persist for too long...
I also tried an ointment for hemorrhoids and fissures, though natural, based on oils etc. and helped a bit as well.

Do you know of any ointment for the fistula wound? For the moment I have sitzbaths 4 times per day, and in 10 days I will take a 25hrs long travel (flights) where I can't do that, but would still like to keep it clean while it's healing..
Garrod
VIP

Postby msimon » 29 Jan 2015, 14:59

Any update Garrod? Are you feeling better yet?
msimon

Postby Garrod » 29 Jan 2015, 18:12

Hi msimon,
Thanks for your message! I was actually just about to write here!

I am in my week 7 after the fistulotomy, and the wound hasn't healed yet.
Weeks 3 and 4 were pretty fine, no pain, some discharge, blood sometimes.
At the end of week 4 I had a long (25hr) trip by planes, no conditions for proper higyena and a lot of sitting. So few days after that it was a bit difficult, again I had pain after BMs, but not as bad as before. I still do potassium-permanganate sitzbaths 3 times per day.

What remained from my wound has kind of two parts - one was very small openning, redish; and another just next to mu anus, looks like a small groove. When I bleed, I am actually not sure where it comes from, same for discharge.

Last week I had more bleeding, especially after BM, sometimes a lot, light color and not thick at all. And that got me worried. But I read here in the forum that discharge and fresh blood weeks after surgery can be normal, and it means the wound is healing, so I figured it was ok.
But yesterday I noticed a very small red/violet lump, like a tiny hematoma. I am not sure, but it may be just where the red part was. Is that healing or something I should worry about? Also some slimy discharge, though not sure if it is annaly or from the wound...

I don't mind waiting for things to heal, but I stress more because of one thing - as I am in another country for the moment, I cannot contact my surgeon, and where I am currently I have no insurance, it is a big deal to get to the doctors and probably will cost a lot of money, and I can't get antibiotics. So I really want to be safe and be sure that all is well..
I fear of another infection, still having discharge makes me think it's possible. How would I recognize it? (Aside from, I guess, fever?)

I hope you're doing well, msimon, after all the complications!
Garrod
VIP

Postby msimon » 10 Feb 2015, 18:05

Hi Garrod. How have you been? Did your hematoma thing get better? And the ooze? When are you going to be back on home soil?

I am currently recovering from another surgery. One that was to address my recurrent infection. I am in a lot of pain but that was to be expected. No signs of the infection yet so that is good. I shall press on.
msimon

Postby LadyinDistress » 11 Feb 2015, 12:20

Hi, Garrod,
I can relate to the pain you're feeling, because I'm feeling the same thing, too! It feels almost like a paper cut back there--sharp and stinging at times. I was wondering if it is possible that your activities are making the wound open up. I've had to cut back on all of my stretching--no more yoga, or Pilates--because these exercises stretch the area and make it hurt big time! Walking is recommended, however, so keep on doing that. I'm not as far down the road as you are--I'm only 8 days post-op--but this burning pain is a bummer. I agree with the other posts--don't wait until your pain meds wear off to take the next dose. I'm taking ibuprofen every 6 hours like clockwork, and as long as I do that, I can manage the pain. I hope that you're already feeling better as of this post.
Best wishes! :hang:
LadyinDistress
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Garrod » 16 Feb 2015, 15:36

Hi LadyinDistress,
Hope you're doing well.
Yes, I had similar pain in ano after BM for a few weeks after surgery, but then it stopped, but came back as soon as I started to do my yoga again, so I took rest for a little while and then got back to it, when I felt the wound feels better... it is actually sometime difficult to locate the pain...
Garrod
VIP

Postby LadyinDistress » 16 Feb 2015, 21:03

Hi, Garrod,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have a follow-up appt. with my doc this week, and I am hoping that he will give me the go-ahead to resume my activities. I feel like such a slug and can't wait to be moving again! This is the first week that I am starting to feel like the "old" me, and in fact, today was my first day without any pain meds. I walked about 2 1/2 miles without pain, so I am hopeful. I hope that you are healing well and feeling better, too!
LadyinDistress
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2015, 09:28

How are you doing now, Garrod? Would be great if you are doing well that you post your story in the Fistula Success stories sub-forum to help others. Do hope that you are doing ok.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222