My Story- Anal fissure to Fistula

Anal Fissure, Abscess, Fistula

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My Story- Anal fissure to Fistula

Postby noazark » 24 Feb 2019, 21:30

So just wanted to share my story and get any feedback.

I have had years of ongoing issues with hemorrhoids, straining etc... In October I developed a fissure. As I have read many stories here, the pain was unbearable and it really affected my quality of life, at home and work. I tried several conservative methods for a few weeks but the pain just kept getting worse. I dreaded having any BM's and it got to the point where I could not sleep at night, I would wake up in the middle of the night just to take a sitz bath.

After a month I decided to go see a CRS (Colo-Rectal Surgeon) , She confirmed my fissure and started my on Nifedipine. This was suppose to help with the anal spasms and allow the fissure to heal. I tried this for two weeks with no success.

I returned to the CRS at the end of November and she recommended and EUA (exam under anesthesia) basically surgery. She needed to explore more while I was out as the anoscope in the exam office would of been to painful.

Very nervous, I scheduled the procedure the next week.

On December 10th I had the surgery (exploration) She was able to confirm the the fissure had become an abscess and was beginning to heal and forming a fistula. She performed a Fistulotomy and de-roofed the fistula. I was stressing over the surgery as it was my first, but that went pretty easy and the surgery took about 30 min. I was walked into the OR they put a lot of warm blankets on me; then I woke up in recovery fully awake, and very little pain.

Post Surgery.....

I won't go on and on, but my pain was much better after; I however was still having a lot of drainage and some slight pain. At my 6 week follow up she said my scar was healing but had to retreat a small area with Silver Nitrite, she said I may have to have this treatment a couple of times.

We are now into the end of February and I am still having some slight pain and drainage, however nothing like the pain I originally had. I am scheduled to return to see the CRS next week and will most likely have another Silver Nitrate treatment to treat the scar. I was hoping to have instant relief and be done with everything after the surgery, I am now seeing this process is going to take longer than I thought. I have read the stories of others and see some have unfortunately suffered for years; I have felt their pain!

I'm thankful others have shared their stories and recommendations, it has really helped me get through this journey.
noazark

Topics: 1

Re: My Story- Anal fissure to Fistula

Postby SCELETTI » 21 Mar 2019, 11:17

I am just wondering about a good surgeon for this in ontario
SCELETTI