Staying on Diltiazem ointment long-term (months or years)?

CRS giving me a hard time about refills and not wanting surgery right now

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Staying on Diltiazem ointment long-term (months or years)?

Postby Luka » 07 Jan 2015, 19:58

I haven’t been on this forum for a few months now, but had a question. Is it harmful to stay on the ointments (specifically Diltiazem ointment) for long-term use? I don’t think my chronic fissure is fully healing since I’ve been on it for about two years now and I can still feel it there. The ointment helps relax the internal sphincter muscle, which is chronically tight due to the fissure still being there and my major issues with anxiety. It helps me with pain and seems to prevent flare-ups. I’ve tried to stop it twice, but each time my pain seemed to come back and I’d get another flare-up of the issue/re-tear. So, needless to say, I’m not ready to stop using it right now.

I’m trying to avoid any kind of surgery right now since I don’t have any health insurance and other medical issues in my family that makes money incredibly tight for us right now. I’m also incredibly scared of any kind of surgery down there. I’ve heard many success stories about LIS, but I’ve also heard a lot of horror stories and surgery is always a risk. I’m just not ready for it. My CRS says it will be the next step, but he doesn’t seem to like me staying on the Diltiazem ointment long-term while I wait to make that next step (if I ever do). Has anyone had any issues with this with their CRS not wanting to prescribe the ointment medication? As far as I know, there are no side effects from it unless you have an allergic reaction to it (in which case, you just stop using it) and it’s not skin-thinning like hydrocortisone cream. I feel like my CRS is treating it like it’s a narcotic and not wanting to give me any more refills on it.

I asked this before about a year ago when everyone answered that they said they see nothing wrong with it, but was wondering if there was any new insight on this from the forum members here. I know some people take the ointments long-term before or even after surgery, so I was curious to hear from those people and how their doctors feel about it. I feel like such a coward being so afraid of surgery, but when I’m feeling well on the ointment with very little pain from the fissure site, I just can’t see myself getting any kind of surgery for it.

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone here finds healing and happiness in the New Year. : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Staying on Diltiazem ointment long-term (months or years

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 Jan 2015, 20:51

Hi Luka, it's good to hear from you, and good that you seem to be managing your fissure very well. I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't stay on diltiazem long term. I suppose if you have low blood pressure it could be harmful, but you say you feel fine.
Can you really pin down your CRS and get him to explain why he thinks it's a problem?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Staying on Diltiazem ointment long-term (months or years

Postby Luka » 08 Jan 2015, 12:39

Thanks, Scientist. : ) I don't have low blood pressure, so that can't be the issue. I think my CRS just really wants to do surgery (he is a surgeon, after all). What bothers me is that when I was in there the last time (last April), he said it would be fine to continue using the creams, yet he won't give me any refills on them. So having to keep calling in to ask for his authorization gets very frustrating and old because it can take a while for him to authorize it.

I'll be seeing my CRS again in March, so I guess I really need to stress to him that I don't want surgery right now and want to remain on the cream for as long as I can so I can live my life with as little pain as possible.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38