Here again

I need help again.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Here again

Postby clare055 » 23 Jan 2015, 08:48

Few months ago, my fiber intake is going fine and well until I decided to take Metamucil that my aunt gave me.

I took 2x a day first because my system might not get used to it. It jellies really, really fast unlike that one that I used before. Then, I had less stool and I'm straining again. Bleeding from my fissure returned again, but it's not much. My passing schedule is still the usual after two days.

What am I going to do? Increase my intake to 3? Or switch my fiber back? (Since the problem in the first one is I have to buy orange juice so I will tolerate the taste.) Also, as much as I want to visit a doctor, I don't have much money right now as I'm jobless once again.

I'm so confused right now.

Thank you!
clare055
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Here again

Postby hurtinend » 23 Jan 2015, 10:26

make sure you drink A LOT of water with Metamucil. It can get stuck on the colon without enough hydration to move it along.

I use flaxseeds instead of Metamucil. I sprinkle a big tablespoon in my oatmeal. Its cheap to buy and it works, High fibre and full of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Forms bulk in the colon, but not too much bulk.

Here in Canada i can bu an organic bag of it for about 10 dollars and it lasts a few months.

So many benefits of flaxseed:
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81

Digestive Health

Benefits of flaxseed for the digestive tract—although mentioned earlier throughout this food profile—are worth repeating here. The strong fiber content of flaxseeds—including their mucilaginous fiber—help to delay gastric emptying and can improve intestinal absorption of nutrients. Flaxseed fibers also help to steady the passage of food through our intestines. Finally, the lignans in flaxseed have been shown to reduce risk of colon cancer. This impressive group of digestive tract benefits is likely to receive more attention in future research studies.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby clare055 » 23 Jan 2015, 10:33

Thank you!
I've been trying to intake a lot of water (besides the juice type ones). Before, it took me weeks before my body really gets used to the fiber (I know I took average of 6 glasses but the bulk when I pass, it's a LOT XD) But this one, is so weird. So I will increase it to three times a day? Or just increase my water intake? It's been 2 weeks and I need to have no blood so I will have no problem with my preemployment medical exam.

Another problem I encountered is it jellies really fast I barely finished a glass. Is there a trick to do this? (beside putting juice since this is orange flavored). I live in Asia part, so I don't know if there are flaxseeds here. My fiber before is similar to Metamucil, that one is not the powdered unlike Metamucil.

But thank you for the reply! XD I've been asking people in the net but no avail until this one!
clare055
Fibre Addict

Postby hurtinend » 23 Jan 2015, 11:05

sorry, I have never taken Metamucil, I would try something else, instead of increasing the dosage beyond what is recommended. Maybe it does not agree with you. Prunes and light cooked greens are great for bowel function.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby msimon » 23 Jan 2015, 16:46

What about a stool softener?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby clare055 » 23 Jan 2015, 23:26

I was thinking if I should revert back to my old fiber. But that had so many maintenances XD (Buying orange juice every time)

I did try laxatives before, but I stopped it when I had no improvements so I stick with my fiber only.
clare055
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 24 Jan 2015, 01:43

stool softeners are not the same as laxatives (well, they are called osmotic laxatives rather than stimulant laxatives). They work by allowing the stool to absorb water, not stimulating the colon. In my country, Canada, we can buy Lax-a-Day, Restorlax (which is PEG 3350-generic). I believe this is also called Movicol in the UK and Miralax in the US. Another stool softener here is Dulcolax. I have never used that one. I used the PEG 3350 and many on here are very happy with this product. It is safe to use every day as well. Stool softeners are good for fissures because they do not make bulky stools.
msimon

Postby clare055 » 24 Jan 2015, 08:06

My first doctor thought I had hemorrhoids so he prescribed me of a capsule for it. Then in the second one, I had fissures since the doctor didn't detect anything inside. She prescribed me fibers and this thing called Dulphalac, I know it's kinda a laxative. But I stopped since she told me not to use it everyday. I stopped when my stool is improving. I heard Miralax but I didn't heard much here in my country.

Maybe I'll just switch back to my former one since I get bloated to Metamucil A LOT, despite drinking water XD But I really wanted to give it a chance since it had less maintenance. But man, that is so hard so swallow because of the jelly.
clare055
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 24 Jan 2015, 15:11

I find with Metamucil you have to stir it and then drink it immediately or it gets jelly-like. Maybe you could try dividing the dose if you find you can't get the whole glass down before it gels...
msimon

Postby clare055 » 18 Feb 2015, 10:22

Hello! Here I am again XD
Yeah, it gets jelly faster than my regular one.

So I returned back to my old fiber and slowly adjusting. But the past week, I started bleeding again (droplets) even though my poop is a big brown thing like before but it seemed it is not soft enough for me not to bleed. I really had to do breathing exercises again as I feel so tensed and pressured (I'm job hunting). I'm nervous about the medical examination if I ever get hired.
Before when I'm first time taking my fiber, I bled as well, but slowly disappears after a month I think. I don't know if it still the same, as I didn't bled when I switch my fiber (BUT it is not letting out bulk and I'm straining).
I really hate my fissure. I don't have any money/insurance for surgery so I really had to regulate to conventional methods.

Sigh, everyday is a challenge.
clare055
Fibre Addict