3.5 months post LIS update

Ongoing leakage issues and more

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 3.5 months post LIS update

Postby Worrier12345 » 20 Mar 2015, 18:53

As I suspected then. Despite my caution, research and general obsession about fixing my fissure I managed to pick out a surgeon who knew less about surgery than most people on here. I pushed for surgery, I pushed for that surgeon to do it, its my mess. I'm so full of regrets and 'if only's'. I don't see myself getting through this one. I dont have the willpower or strength that most of the people on here seem to have.

People keep telling me that I only did what I thought was best at the time. I wish that gave me some comfort, but it just makes me think that I screwed up and my judgement and perception are useless. I gave up a while ago and now I'm just going through the motions for as long as I can manage.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Bailey » 20 Mar 2015, 19:34

I just wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry for all that you are dealing with. I encourage you to try to be kind to yourself... We all make the best decisions we can with the information we have and nobody has the ability to go back and change the past. I would encourage you to seek help - find another CRS or go back to your GP. And, perhaps consider counselling or medication. I too have had moments in my life when that "dark place" makes me think that there is no hope and I can not go on... But, there is always hope and tomorrow is another day. Take the greatest care.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby suzyljank » 22 Mar 2015, 22:23

Hi, Worrier12345, I'm sorry you're having leakage. Have you asked your doctor if you might have what they call a keyhole deformity as a result of your surgery? This is a complication of rectal surgery and can cause leakage. If you go back a few years there was another member who had this. I don't remember the name but type in keyhole deformity. I hope you find a resolution quickly. Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Worrier12345 » 23 Mar 2015, 10:30

Hi Suzy, thanks for your reply.

A keyhole deformity was my first concern when I had leakage after the surgery. I think this may well be a contributing factor, since my anal opening is not the same shape that it was before LIS. There's a definite groove where the incision was made. Perhaps it's this along with the low muscle pressure that I now have which is causing the leakage.

I long for a resolution to this, but I'm not hopeful unfortunately. I've given up hoping at this point, since every step I have made over the last 2 years to fixing my anal problems has made everything worse.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 23 Mar 2015, 15:41

If I'm not mistaken I think anoplasty is done to correct a keyhole deformity. This does not involve cutting the muscle at all. I had LIS and 5 years later I had double advancement flaps. I'm coming up on my 2 years anniversary for the flaps surgery and that was the time limit they gave me for recovery. Recovery and healing came in stages and I can honestly say it took the full 2 years. I hope you're able to find something that will help you. Don't ever give up. Just a suggestion but can you find another CRS. The one you have doesn't sound very sympathetic. You need a really good doctor when you're going through this. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby Worrier12345 » 24 Mar 2015, 14:36

I really don't think that my level of incontinence is severe enough to warrant anything more than conservative treatment. And considering that im already doing rectal irrigation - which seems to be the last resort before surgery - I think im probably doing all I can do anyway.

As far as im concerned its the same old pattern: I had a fissure that wasn't that bad but I couldn't live with it and I pushed for surgery. That resulted in incontinence that, once again probably isn't that bad, but I cant handle it. Do I push for help and screw things up again and again, or do I just give up?

Its the same with the mental health issues. I feel like every time ive tried to get help for depression or anxiety things have just got worse. Im now waiting again for an assessment for therapy- that's the 5th assessment in 2 months with no help yet. Same as the incontinence - done all the tests but still not had any practical help.

Every moment of every day there is a ball of dread in my stomach. This ball of dread tells me that things have gone wrong for me, that they wont get better and that it was my fault. People tell me that this is just depression and anxiety talking, but from whatever angle I look at it it seems like the logical, inevitable truth.

I admire and respect all the people I have read about on here over the last couple of years. People who have struggled with terrible pain and gruelling hardships and have kept their heads up while offering support and advice. Im not sure I really deserve to be posting alongside you all.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 24 Mar 2015, 15:04

You sure do have the right to post and vent. It's good for the soul and we're all here to try and help one another. It's difficult to keep a positive outlook when things are going wrong. I've had my share of ups and downs. Sometimes it seems you get one thing fixed and then something else goes wrong. You just have to take one day at a time. Still hoping for the best for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby laban21 » 25 Mar 2015, 17:51

What is it about the leakage that bothers you? Does it hurt when you leak? Because I'm getting LIS this April 1st and all I want is for the pain to go away. Does the BM hurt or has the LIS solved that problem. I just want advice as well.
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Worrier12345 » 26 Mar 2015, 06:45

Hi Laban,

What is it about the leakage that bothers me? I was perfectly continent before the surgery. Now it takes me a long time to clean up after a bowel movement, I cannot get clean properly without cleaning out my rectum with a bulb syringe. If I do not do this then stool leaks out throughout the day. It is uncomfortable, itchy and unhygienic. My anal area is also always moist and sticky. I cannot go to the toilet outside of my home due to this.

My fissure caused me discomfort and bleeding during and after a BM - but not much pain. I can have a BM more easily since LIS - it is not such a struggle to pass a stool, and I have not had any blood like I used to get. For me, however, the LIS has made life worse - it has made my life revolve around going to the toilet, and the leaking means that it is always on my mind.

In hindsight, LIS was the wrong choice - I should have lived with the bleeding and discomfort that I experienced perhaps a third of the time, rather than the constant issues that I face now. If you are in pain, however, I'm sure it will be a good decision for you.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby laban21 » 26 Mar 2015, 11:53

Yeah I am in a lot of pain. It hurts after I use the toilet. I avoid spicy foods now for obvious reasons. I make sure I don't have diarrhea also or else I can't walk or sit for like 8 hours. I just finished BM just now so it may take a few hours for me to be able to walk normal.
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4