External Anal "Abrasion"--anyone else experience this??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

External Anal "Abrasion"--anyone else experience this??

Postby AG412 » 14 Mar 2015, 20:53

For the last 4 months, I have had an external anal "abrasion", as the proctologist described it. It started because I scratched an itch. It is in a little fold of the perianal skin/margin. It is not an open wound, but more of a scrape. It simply will not heal. It hurts all day long. A burning, sore feeling and sometimes, like little knives are cutting me.

It does not hurt during a bowel movement. It starts feeling sore about 45 minutes afterwards and is sore all day. It improves quite a bit at night, only to be irritated again the next morning by b.m.

The proctologist had me use Calmoseptine for 4 weeks. When that did not help, she prescribed nifedipine cream. That gave me headaches, so I"m currently using L-Arginine gel (500 mg/ml), which is supposed to give the same result without the headaches. (I've previously tried olive oil, honey, Desitin, essential oils, collagen gel, Vaseline, A&D ointment, Calendula gel)

I am desperate to keep my stools soft. Currently, I am using Natural Calm & Pedialax. I eat only soft, cooked foods that are not too high in insoluble fiber. Fiber adds bulk, which is NOT helpful for me.

I just had a run of 10 days where I felt much better but one firmer stool irritated everything again.

Has anyone else had an "abrasion"?? I feel like the only person in the world with this & I just want it to HEAL.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, any diet advice, any stool softener advice, etc... PLEASE reply!

Thank you SO much!!!!
AG412
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: External Anal "Abrasion"--anyone else experience this??

Postby PainedSA » 14 Mar 2015, 23:27

I am so sorry I cannot shed any light on this, as have never suffered from this, but feel very sad for you - welcome to the forums and hopefully someone will help you soon :)
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby AG412 » 15 Mar 2015, 11:31

Thank you! Have you had any success in treating your fissure? I feel like if I had some good advice on keeping things soft that maybe it would have the chance to heal? Booty problems are NO FUN!
AG412
Fibre Addict

Postby PainedSA » 15 Mar 2015, 18:38

Hi AG - I had to experiment for a while before I got my stools to a manageable level -

Lots of people here swear by miralax/movicol - it's a powder you make into water and drink. This is a good one for not getting dehydrated rather than say lactulose which draws water into your bowels.

My savior at the moment is magnesium tablets - they work perfectly for me, I take 2-3 a day depending on food etc of 400mg magnesium (try lower first of course)

Drink lots of water!

You could try a mouthful of olive oil (I could never stomach it) which increases bile productivity in you so softens stools.

I really hope nice soft stools will help you! It sounds very similar to a fissure in the way it presents pain.

Do you do anything for pain relief? Ie - sitting on a hot water bottle, having baths etc?

Sorry for the short reply I can go more in depth later if you need me too xx Good luck
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Postby AG412 » 16 Mar 2015, 12:46

Thank you!! I've been using a small amount of magnesium hydroxide and magnesium citrate. I think the Natural Calm (citrate) is giving me headaches. Which magnesium has worked for you?

I've been afraid of Miralax. I don't want to end up dependent on anything. But I may have to get some.

I started the olive oil today. I'm also drinking coconut oil in warm water.

It is so similar to a fissure. I think because it is not internal at all, that the dr is calling it an abrasion.

Hot baths do help. I mix Epsom salts into them.

Such a frustrating situation. :( I really want another baby, but I'm scared to get pregnant while this abrasion/fissure is going on.
AG412
Fibre Addict

Postby PainedSA » 16 Mar 2015, 19:14

Miralax/movicol thankfully are not known for dependence as they do not stimulate your bowels, all they do is create a sort of "gel" that moves the stool down - there is a good video on the movicol page I will see if I can link it - it made me feel so much better about using it. (Movicol is an australian brand)

http://www.movicol.com.au/why-movicol/how-it-works

I am so with you on your last comment! I cannot imagine pushing another one out while suffering this

I am using a capsule form of magnesium from Wagners brand but I don't know if that is available where you are - (where are you? LOL)
PainedSA
Salt Bather