Antibiotic Nightmare after Fissurectomy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Antibiotic Nightmare after Fissurectomy

Postby Tejas123 » 12 May 2015, 11:00

I had botox and a fissurectomy last week and ever since I've had diarrhea. I've got 2 different antibiotics to take and they're playing havoc with my system. It's getting me down a lot, as I'm going to the toilet 4-5 times a day, and it really stings each time I go. Been to the doctors and they gave me a different antibiotic, but for another 7 days, so if it continues I have another 7 days of this :(

Can't be helping with the healing at all, as I had a bit of blood again this morning. It's horrible because I'm sure my recovery would be going much better if I didn't have to take the damn things. How likely is it that I would get an infection if I stopped taking them?

I've got a big red mark around my anus as well and I don't know if this is normal? Or a result of any of the above?

Just looking for some reasurance, thanks
Tejas123
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Antibiotic Nightmare after Fissurectomy

Postby msimon » 13 May 2015, 02:28

Do you take probiotics? Are you trying anything like soluble fibre to firm up your BM (rice, bananas, bread, pysllium, etc)?

I wonder why they gave you antibiotics. Did they say you have an infection? I wish I had been given them routinely as I wound up getting an infection and had to have a second surgery for that 3 months after my LIS. Maybe they could have prevented all this?

Going off an antibiotic soon after starting it is a bad idea in terms of creating bacterial resistance. Which ones have you been given? I was on Ciprofloxacin and Flagyl. These two are brutal and I did have loose BMs but not the runs. Losts of other side effects though.

Could the red mark be bruising from the procedure?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Tejas123 » 13 May 2015, 08:18

Hi msimon thanks for your reply.

I have been taking probiotics but was taking them at the same time as my antibiotics so I don't think they were working, seems really obvious now. Got some probiotic yoghurts today too.

I didn't have an infection no, the CRS gave them as a preventative measure I think. Perhaps it may have helped you, are you in the UK? They have made me pretty ill though, had diarrhea for a week now I'm getting very sore. I see what you mean about the resistance but I'm going to just make sure I keep everything clean and keep having salt baths. I was on Cipro and Flagyl as well, but then they changed the cipro for clarithromycin after 4 days, but they have been making me vomit. I've taken the full course of flagyl at least.

I've been eating white bread, rice krispies, porridge, soups but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

I think you're right about the red mark being bruising. Ugh the things we go through.
Tejas123
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 13 May 2015, 12:42

Yes, the probiotics should be taken about 4 hours apart from the antibiotics.

Interesting how they switched your meds to one that is apparently more likely to cause runny BMs (so I have read anyway). You should be fine to off them, I would think.

Here is another supplement that may help you:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... 0boulardii

It is supposed to be pretty effective for what you have, in addition to probiotics.

Alternatively, you could just use a topical antibiotic cream for a while. My CRS had me do that for a while...

I am in Canada.
msimon

Postby Tejas123 » 14 May 2015, 17:08

Ah yeah, it was hard timing it as I was taking 2 antibiotics 3 x a day.

Really? That's weird, the doctors make you wonder sometimes don't they.

Another lovely anti b side effect I've had today is thrush. My bum has been a quite itchy as well, especially in the evening. So I'm worried if it could be the thrush, or just a sign of healing? I've got some cream for it, but don't know whether to apply it on my bum, as the wound is still a bit open, is it better just to keep it dry?

Thanks for the supplement recommendation, never heard of that one before, I'm always looking for things to help with my IBS as well. The diarrhea seems to be easing off at least.
Tejas123
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 14 May 2015, 18:42

Glad to hear the D seems to be lessening.

That supplement is for antibiotic induced diarrhea. Not sure if it would help other aspects.

are you taking anything for the thrush? An oral medication would help that as well as the bum. Itching could be healing or it could be yeast. Most Doctors would say to keep the wound dry, I think. But I have used antifungal cream down there with a little irritation as a side effect.
msimon

Postby Tejas123 » 15 May 2015, 15:08

I went to get an oral medication for the thrush today, so hope it clears up soon.

It's quite sore/itchy to walk around at the moment hope that wears off soon. It's been 9 days since I had the botox, should it have kicked in by now? I can't say I've noticed a lot of difference really.

Just really can't wait for everything to get back to normal. How are things for you?
Tejas123
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 15 May 2015, 22:50

Botox usually takes at least 2 weeks to kick in and is maximal around a month.

Things have still been tough for me. Thanks for asking. I have been recovering from my last surgery now for over 3 months and am getting weary of the pain and limitations. Still seem to be infection free at least so I guess that's good. I am now working on getting the pelvic floor muscles to learn to relax again and not hurt so much. That is proving to be very challenging.

I hope your meds kick in soon and you get so much awaited relief. What did you get prescribed for the thrush?
msimon

Postby Tejas123 » 16 May 2015, 09:20

Thanks, I got a diflucan tablet from the pharmacy, hoping it will sort it out.

Sorry to hear you are still having pain, I've been suffering on and off for a few years, I know how it grinds you down. Hopefully we will both get our lives back ASAP!

What sort of things do you do to relax your pelvic floor? I wonder if I have trouble with this myself sometimes, but no idea how you would go about solving it.
Tejas123
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 16 May 2015, 15:04

How long have you had a fissure for? I had pelvic pain for years before the fissure (I think due to having hemmie pain and then surgery for that). I almost had it sorted when the CRS gave me the fissure. Things have been so flared ever since. My pelvic floor physio, as well as myself and my husband, do trigger point (muscle knots) release in the pelvic floor muscles through the vagina. You basically put your finger in there and press it gently into the muscle until it aches and after 30-60 seconds it will relax and give you relief from the pain and tightness.

I have also had botox into these muscles many times but with mixed results. I just can't seem to get things to calm down while there is a painful wound still there. It has healed quite a lot but I am very sensitive and it is now the size of a fissure and is behaving like one.

I was also once prescribed a muscle relaxant that is good for spasticity called 'baclofen' but it didn't help me much. Some have had good luck with it though. I wonder if you might have a pelvic floor physio that could check things out for you. Where are you located?
msimon