New Here & So Absolutely DESPERATE

Incredibly Desperate for AF relief

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Here & So Absolutely DESPERATE

Postby Lemonshark » 14 Jun 2015, 22:40

Hi there everybody
As the subject says, I'm new here. I stumbled upon this site during one of my (many) google searches for AF relief.
I have been suffering from an AF and external hemorrhoid since last September upon returning from a trip overseas (I somehow got salmonella). The hemorrhoid I can deal with as it causes almost no pain. However, the fissure, I am at my wits end with. I'm terrified to eat as I know what goes in must eventually come out. I've increased my fiber intake with Metamucil, more veggies and fruits...but ever since salmonella my digestive system is out of whack. It's just diarrhea almost every time no matter what I eat.
I've tried 1% and 2% hydrocortisone cream, nitroglycerin cream (rectiv), Percocet, ibuprofen, you name it. The pain during and after bm is beyond unbearable. I'm covered in tattoos but this easily takes the cake.
Sitz baths haven't helped even when I was taking them 4 times a day. I have passed out from the pain on multiple occasions and cannot move or walk for at least 4 hours afterwards. I am crying in pain durin and after for about an hour and am at the end of my patience.
Please PLEASE help me. At least something to hold me over until I can afford surgery...ANYTHING
Thanks in advance :verysad:
Lemonshark
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New Here & So Absolutely DESPERATE

Postby Lemonshark » 14 Jun 2015, 22:56

To follow up, I have read almost every thread on this site. I want to try Valium as another user suggested worked very well for him combined with Miralax
I didn't see anything about this..but I'm considering using ice chips.
Anybody have any experience with ice chips or ice packs to ease pain?
Lemonshark
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 15 Jun 2015, 02:36

Hi Lemonshark. Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found this place as it is so full or information and wonderful people. I am very sorry to hear of your suffering. I, as well as most on here, know that pain and fear very well. There is nothing like it!

Have you been to a Doctor (particularly a colorectal surgeon-CRS)? If you are afraid of surgery, maybe botox is an option. It can help with those awful spasms. Have you tried one of the other ointments (nifedipine or diltiazem)? Sometimes people respond better to one than another.

I have not often used ice down there but some on here have, mainly to help with swelling. Ice can ease a spasm but it also constricts bloodflow, which ultimately would delay healing. If you do try it be careful to put a paper between the ice and the skin so you don't damage your skin further and don't apply it longer than 10 minutes at a time.

Have you ever tried to have a BM in the sitz bath? I never have but this has been recommended to me many times by different people and some on here have found it helps with the painful BM. Also, have you taken probiotics? They can be very helpful for Diarrhea.

I hope you find some relief soon. What have your tried for pain killers? I find ibuprofen works the best.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Lemonshark » 15 Jun 2015, 17:15

Hi msimon!
After 3 creams from my GP she referred me to a surgeon. When I saw my surgeon both times all she said she saw was a small external hemorrhoid but my GP said she saw a fissure. My surgeon wanted to schedule me for hemorrhoidectomy but I cannot afford it yet.
I tried ice earlier today - horrible experience lol
Here are the medications I've tried:
1% hydrocortisone (proctocort)
2% hydrocortisone
.5% nitroglycerin (rectiv)
5% lidocaine (Recticare)
I have tried ibuprofen but haven't felt any relief from that. It also causes me to go into panic attacks as I have panic disorder
I've never tried having a bm in a sitz bath, I don't have one for the toilet. I use my bathtub afterwards.
I have tried taking some probiotics but don't find them to make much of a difference. My doctor seems to think the salmonella damaged and caused colitis
I tried calling my GP this morning for actual pain medication but they haven't gotten back to me as of yet.
I had a bm this morning that didn't feel so bad until I stood up - put me right back to my knees.
Is it possible to have a fissure deeper inside? The nitro cream worked miracles for me until now..nothing seems to help and it seems to feel deeper but who knows.
Lemonshark
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 15 Jun 2015, 17:34

Lemon....i feel for you. I and most others on this board know what you are going through.

Here are the things that have worked for me...I must admit none have been the magic bullet but together they have been helpful:

1. Take some form of stool softener...this is THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice i have. I use Magnesium Citrate (150mg-250mg per day). I would also look into Miralax/Restoralax....not sure what it is called where you are from. This site has a good translation of terms and medications that you can use.

2. Poop using a stool of some sort to get your knees up....makes the trajectory easier.

3. If you can at all anticipate it...take a couple Ibuprofen a half hour before you go to the loo...get in front of the pain

4. Stick some coconut oil up there just before you poop....provides some lubrication and a small barrier

5. Sit on heat as much as possible during the day to promote blood flow....cold can also be good -- i use a cold pack wrapped in a towel for 10/15 mins at a time

6. Drink a teaspoon to a tablespoon of flax or olive oil with breakfast, lunch and dinner....then cut down to twice a day after a week or so...lubricate inside and out!

7. Use a cream 2-3x a day...like diltiazem nitro, niphedipine

8. Take as many baths as you can a day...warm/hot for 20 mins at a time...hey sit there f or 30 if you got the spare minutes

9. Eat super healthy...DO NOT bulk up with metamucil (that is b.s. as far as i can tell). Eat a good balance of non-processed foods that include soluble and insoluble fibre. DO DRINK lots of water. Do add probiotic foods to your diet that could include kombucha, kefir, miso soup, sauerkraut, kimchi, unpasteurized cheeses etc etc

10. Talk about it with people who care....this was as helpful to me as everything else....use this outlet too!!

11.....this is the worst and the best. TIME. This situation requires some time to heal....we all go through the period of time when nothing seems to work....but slowly (way toooooo slowly) you should find some relief

12. Try and stay as positive as you can

All best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby jlm1 » 15 Jun 2015, 20:04

Hi there,
All of the above advice is great. I don't have much to add. In the early days I used a hot water bottle A LOT, went to bed with it, sat on it whenever I could. I had botox and have many posts all over this forum about my experience.
Just wanted to say that I know the hell and horrible pain you are in. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Post here and let us know how you are doing. This will pass......but it may take time.
Stay strong!!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Lemonshark » 16 Jun 2015, 00:25

Thank you all so much for the support, suggestions and response. Just having somebody to relate to is truly one of the biggest help to resolve this problem, I feel.
I just had my boyfriend pick up a heating pad for me to sit on during the day..luckily I work from home so I hope it helps.
My doctor also finally wrote a script for a low dosage of Vicodin that I'll be filling tomorrow...hopefully it helps to at least manage the unbearable pain until it heals or I can get surgery.
I've started combining the 2% hydrocortisone and .5% nitro cream together and applying x3 daily after wiping with witch hazel pads. Seems to be helping but we all know how that goes once the bm hits...we will see
Lemonshark
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 16 Jun 2015, 02:03

Great to hear this forum has been of help to you. It has been my saving grace too. I'm glad to hear you have a heating pad now and some pain relief on the way, although I'm not sure if you are aware but vicodin can cause constipation (although with the diarrhea this may help things for you). I also just wanted to mention that many on here have been prescribed hydrocortisone initially by their Doctors when they are misdiagnosed with having a hemorrhoid problem, and that hydrocortisone is generally not good for fissures as it can thin the skin and delay healing. In the short term it is good for bringing down inflammation but any longer than 2 weeks is not recommended for anyone, so I have been told anyway. Hope you find some relief real soon.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby JHH » 16 Jun 2015, 03:55

Lemonshark wrote:When I saw my surgeon both times all she said she saw was a small external hemorrhoid but my GP said she saw a fissure. My surgeon wanted to schedule me for hemorrhoidectomy but I cannot afford it yet.

Personally I would never go for hemorrhoidectomy. Too many scary stories in here about it causing scartissue and fissures.

Why not save up for LIS?

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Savaici » 16 Jun 2015, 08:58

Agree with JHH about hemorrhoidectomy, root of all my problems. Very very intense pain after this surgery, and they come back. Been there; done that. Never again.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222