18 months lurking-24hrs post LIS + more

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

18 months lurking-24hrs post LIS + more

Postby FireorangeM3 » 26 Aug 2015, 20:39

Hi everyone
I thought I would tell my story as ive been reading and reading posts here for the past year.
Ive been dealing with a fissure for 18 months, and as a doctor thought i would share my own experience.
I was terrified of surgery and put off the lis until 24 hrs ago. I tried everything, the creams post prescription and natural, the coconut oil, topical anesthesia, iv solutions like crazy to help with the spasms and everytime I thought it was getting better itd be back with a vengeance.
I truly understand why people feel like taking thier lives because of pain now. Beleive me i have had pain in the past (broke my back in 4 places twice, crakced skull, set my own collar bone) but none of those injuries compared to the fissure and the spasms afterwards which would basically last until I fell asleep.
I saw a new anorectal surgeon last week and he was great and they had 2 open surgery spots so i took the plunge. I just had my first BM post op which i was terrified about and it was easy! First non painful one in a loopong time. I shoild also mention i had a prolapsing hemmroid right next to the fissure which was also removed during the surgery. For pain i am managing super well with extra strength acetaminophen and a homeopathic called arnica montana, and an alternating ice packs and sitz baths.
I know its only been a day and a half but i feel super confident that thinns will continue to improving dramatically. For extra tissue healing im doing 25 grams of protein powder and 10 grams of glutamine three times a day.
Basically i wanted to share in hopes that if anyone is reading this and on the fence like I was please dont wait a year and a half to get something done. The pain i have no is more of a constant dull vs searing/tearing which is waaay more manageable.
My best wishes and thoughts to everyone who is trying to heal there things.
FireorangeM3

Topics: 1

Re: 18 months lurking-24hrs post LIS + more

Postby salamon555 » 28 Aug 2015, 18:58

Hi Fireorang , Im happy for you , you are now in the process of healing , what kind of surgery did you have ? is it the open LIS or the closed one ? how are you doing now ? as Im heading for the surgery , I would like to hear about your recovery experience , Thx
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Re: 18 months lurking-24hrs post LIS + more

Postby FireorangeM3 » 30 Aug 2015, 01:04

I had the closed lis and a Hemorrhoidectomy. On day 4 and i stipped my pain meds yesterday. My first bm was over 36 hrs post op and i had to push, felt something like tearing and was pretty sore and bummed for the day. But the pain wasnt as bad as previously and today doing well-picked up the car, drove, went for diner and a party after. Little tired but overall pretty good! Cant complain at all. Biggest tip is keep your bowels moving and soft. I had doubled my magnesium intake and added a capsule of omega3 fish oil abd my bm this am was super soft and not painful. Sits bath right after and the day went well. I think the biggest part of my recovery is ectomy, had i just needed the lis i feel id be 100% by now. Good luck!
FireorangeM3

Topics: 1