Granulation Tissue

How to prevent?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Granulation Tissue

Postby SakPase » 30 Aug 2015, 16:08

I had a great follow up 10 days post-LIS. Doc said everything is going well and looks great. My pain has subsided. I don't ever bleed with a BM. I find some discharge where a gauze pad will be during the day, which is reminiscent of what you'd find on a Band-Aid on a wound. All in all, I've had an easy go.

At my check up, my doc did the uncomfortable digital check up. He then proceeded to press down the side of the sphincter next to the wound. It was not fun at all and left me what felt like "bruised," for lack of a better word, for a couple of hours.

He then told me that next weekend (Friday/Saturday) I need to begin that action myself. His term: "Basically treat it like you don't want it to heal. You want to make it bleed."

He explained exactly what to do, which was what he did. He gave me gloves and all the necessary stuff.

He explained that by doing this action, it would promote blood flow, clean out the wound from the incision, as well as the fissure, thus helping it heal. Blood is good.

Most of all, he said that this would keep it from healing improperly where there'd be new healthy skin to form it, as opposed to granulation tissue.

Thus, if granulation tissue formed, he would have to "go in and scrub it out..."

The prospect that he told me to do is not what I want to do...but, the prospect of him going in to scrub the wound is much worse to me.

Just wanted to have a discussion on your post-op follow up, if anyone else had been suggested to do this.

My doc is good, and I trust him. But was just wondering other's experiences.
SakPase
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Granulation Tissue

Postby chachacha » 30 Aug 2015, 18:47

My experience was that my doctor did not want me to do anything after my LIS, other than having a sitz bath four times a day for the first two weeks. I've only been reading the forum for a couple of years, but have never heard of anyone being asked to do what your doctor has suggested. I'm very curious to see what kind of responses you get to this question though, because maybe others have done the same but just not mentioned it.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby SakPase » 30 Aug 2015, 20:46

I'm not concerned that he is leading me down a wrong path at all.

I asked a friend of mine who is a nurse, and actually has knowledge of AF. She said what he advised is perfectly in line with good methodology as it helps in healing. So, that helps me relax.

I did fail to mention that he said to help "stretch" the muscle as it is to strengthen it. He was not gentle, but wasn't violent. It felt normal what he did.

I just found it odd since he told me to do so there would be no granulation tissue or infection. Said it will help cleanse the wound as well.

Fun conversations in these forums, eh?
SakPase
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby chachacha » 30 Aug 2015, 21:03

Never a dull moment, lol.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Debsit » 01 Sep 2016, 07:19

I am hoping that this trend is not too old to reopen.SakPase, my doctor has me doing that sounds like the same thing you had to do. He gave me the gloves the ointment and everything I need to perform this task. It does hurt but this is only my second day and he did silver nitrate on the area just yesterday. My question is how long did you do this for? I have a 6 week follow up and he did not give me a time frame which I had to perform this task. Does it get less painful?

:thankyou:
Debsit