Is Botox temporary for everyone?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is Botox temporary for everyone?

Postby tight_sphin » 02 Sep 2015, 19:35

Hello everyone. My CRS explained to me that Botox injected into the Internal Sphincter, a tight one which is my issue, will kill the nerve endings that are causing the spasms and that the regenerated nerve endings may not cause the spasms to reoccur. He said 80% of his patients only needed one injection to have this problem be cured. The other 20% needed a second injection (or third).

Is this consistent with anyone here who has has Botox to the IS? Before talking with him and knowing of botox, I had just assumed that it was something that was temporary, as it is when used cosmetically, but he assures me that it just may take a few times for it to work.

Fro m what I have read on here so far, it seems as though success with Botox is just temporary, although I have not gone through all the posts. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Joe
tight_sphin
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Is Botox temporary for everyone?

Postby itsjustme » 02 Sep 2015, 21:23

I just had my Botox injections last week - so I certainly am no expert, but I was told it will stop the spasms for about 3 months and therefore give the fissure time to heal... from what I know its a temporary thing...
itsjustme
Fibre Addict

Postby tight_sphin » 03 Sep 2015, 14:52

Thanks so much for the reply. Did you have any side effects from the injection?
tight_sphin
Fibre Addict

Postby jlm1 » 03 Sep 2015, 20:53

I had botox last year in July and it healed my fissure.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby itsjustme » 03 Sep 2015, 21:10

hi again! no side effects at all... today has been a week and i had a good day... relatively painless... i hope that continues!!!
itsjustme
Fibre Addict

Postby tight_sphin » 04 Sep 2015, 08:35

Thanks for the replies. This is great news for you guys! Glad to hear it helped. My issue however is a little different as I thankfully have no pain. I had a fissure years ago that was cured with some Nitro suppositories. Today, my problem is incomplete evacuation and after 12 weeks of pelvic floor PT, a month of diltiazem, a manometry test and a defecogram, the CRS believes it is scar tissue from the fissure that is causing the IS to spasm and cause the incompleteness.

In younger years I would just take his advice and go through with the Botox but I am tired of getting my hopes up high and then having nothing work. And since botox sounds temporary and I can't find anyone or any article that states that Botox will work for me the way he says it will, I'd rather avoid the potential side effects and the whole process.

sorry for the rant, especially when this problem pales greatly in comparison to what I have read on this forum but I cannot find another forum that discuss symptoms like this.

Joe
tight_sphin
Fibre Addict