My current experience

Chronic fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My current experience

Postby Cliff2005 » 04 Oct 2015, 06:26

Hi everyone,

Been reading threads on here for a while and thought I'd join.

I've had a fissure for at least 6 months now. I noticed at first a paper cut type scratching feeling inside when I'm passing stools. And then I started noticing blood in the bowl.

Apart from a bit of discomfort it's never really caused me any pain but I just want the thing gone now.

I have tried - sitz baths, anusol, coconut oil and Dulcoease.

The only thing that stopped me bleeding is the Dulcoease but I still feel the paper cut feeling when going (and because of the expense) after about a month I stopped taking them and then after two days I'm bleeding again.

Despite having a reasonable diet I seem to have really hard stools (esp. The first part to come out).

After a recommendation from a friend I'm on fig extract at the minute.

But id really appreciate some good advice. - is the fact I'm not in pain a good sign that the fissure is small and healable? Should I go back to the Dulcoease, was it working, and if so for how long? Or anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Cliff
Cliff2005
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: My current experience

Postby anniebee » 04 Oct 2015, 18:16

Hi. I was told about 5 years ago that I had a fissure with the same as you describe. It went away on it's own but bled a lot for a few days. Months ago, after an extreme case of the runs followed a few weeks later by constipation, I broke it open and have been in a lot of pain for months now. I am sure it is the same fissure and it will not heal. I don't know about Dulcoease. What I do know is that for life, you have to make sure you have soft BM's and most importantly now. I don't use stool softeners but try very hard to make sure I eat the right things. Others here can probably tell you about softeners that could work for you. I personally would not stop using what has worked for you despite the price because if it gets bad, you will be spending money on all kind of things that you hope will work. I have a bathroom cupboard filled with "treatments".
anniebee
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Cliff2005 » 06 Oct 2015, 13:53

Obviously blood is never a good sign but if I'm stopping the bleeding is that a sign it's healing despite a bit of stinging?

Wondering if I should go back to stool softeners.
Cliff2005
Fibre Addict

Postby Cupcake » 06 Oct 2015, 14:34

No bleeding is definitely a good sign. The fissure is not fresh and opened. However, I would strongly suggest you do NOT stop stool softeners yet. These things are very delicate and even a slightly firm BM can do damage, particularly if you still have stinging. It means you are not totally healed yet. Don't risk it. :-)
Cupcake
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Cupcake » 06 Oct 2015, 14:49

Cliff- I see I mis-read your post, so the answer to your question would be yes, I would go back to them for a while. It won't hurt and can keep you from opening up your fissure again. :-)
Cupcake
Salt Bather

Postby Cliff2005 » 06 Oct 2015, 14:52

Thanks for the advice. A question that's difficult to answer but how long should I stay on the softeners for? The obvious answer would be till it's healed but how long should I expect roughly? Ps I was on them for about a month previously.
Cliff2005
Fibre Addict

Postby Cupcake » 06 Oct 2015, 15:04

It is difficult to answer, as everyone is different and everyone's fissure is different. What you have to know is that once you've had one, you're vulnerable again. It can take many months for the skin to actually gain back its original strength after the trauma.
It's up to your judgement of course. If it were me, I'd stay on at least as long as you had the fissure. It only takes one hard BM to cause it to tear again, that's the problem. So you can just use that info to make your decision.
It's easy to just pop them before you go to bed so you've got a little extra insurance for the morning BM. :-)
Cupcake
Salt Bather