Vegetarian Products

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Vegetarian Products

Postby Guest » 02 Feb 2008, 20:41

I noticed that a few people have mentioned vegetarian products (veggie burgers, smartdogs, etc) as alternatives to meat. What are your experiences with these products when you have an active fissure? Are there any ingredients that I should look out for/stay away from? Any products that are recommended more than others? I pretty much stick to grilled chicken and fish these days, so I'm pretty excited about the prospect of expanding my menu safely.

Re: Vegetarian Products

Postby Guest » 02 Feb 2008, 21:18

I have been a vegetarian for 17 years. I didn't have any problem at all with eating any of the soy or veggie meat replacements at all but I am a regular at it. I don't think there would be anything that would irritate a fissure unless you get a particularly spicy flavor.
My favorite are the garden burgers and the sausage patties. I sometimes crumble them up into a salad for protein.

I love tempeh too. You can cut it up into blocks and put it in stir fry, salads, rice, or just eat it on its own.

Postby buttgirl » 03 Feb 2008, 00:19

I definitely like veggie burgers, even better than meat burgers--is that heresy? also veggie corn dogs are really good. these are not high in fiber, but they are not binding like meat produvts either, at least not for me.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2008, 09:59

Yeah-I love the corn dogs, BG! I like to dip in mustard and it's heaven on a stick!

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Feb 2008, 14:47

I can not live without meat Image , just "braking in" to say that Lecia you look so pretty in this dress !!!
:^##:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby SunshineHope » 06 Feb 2008, 04:01

I loveeeee my soy and tofu products. Can't live without it. Eating meat, to me, is like eating my neice! eek... So basically I need to survive on non-dead animal protein to get my strength! I need to take fruit based iron pills as well (the regular ones are constipating and I'm low on iron). I haven't noticed any huge effect because of the soy or veggie products, I definitely wouldn't stop taking them unless they gave me another fissure or something.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 06 Feb 2008, 09:44

Thanks, Fiss and nice to see you Sunshine. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing?

Postby SunshineHope » 07 Feb 2008, 03:57

Hey Lecia, thank you for asking :) I'm doing ok. My fissure(s) were doing great, I started using aloe vera again and stopped having pain for a really long time (over a month, maybe 1.5 or 2), but it's usually just that time of the month that messes me up. I think I injured myself in a new area recently, that's the only downfall. Otherwise I'm just trying to keep up with the aloe because it seems to help.
I got a call from the CRS office about the surgery I had booked like a year or so ago. I almost forgot about the surgery, I must've been pretty desperate then. They said they have an opening on Feb 25 - I don't know if I want to go for surgery anymore or not. Tough call
I hope youre feeling better now Lecia.. I'm sorry for stealing this thread, by the way :$
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 07 Feb 2008, 08:58

Yeah, that is a tough call about the surgery. Can you get things checked out before you decide to see what is going on with the new pain?

I would be tempted to do it just because you keep getting these disruptions and maybe once you heal you won't have to worry about missing any step of the regimen. But if the good days are outnumbering the bad, I don't know.

I know with me, though I had a different surgery I was ready to trade the known pain for the unknown because what I had was so bad already it couldn't be any worse. Though I am still in pain from the surgery it is nice to have that vein gone and the troublesome skin tag.

Postby buttgirl » 07 Feb 2008, 12:27

How are you feeling this week Lecia?
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements