vicks vapor rub! for stubborn skin tag discomfort

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: vicks vapor rub! for stubborn skin tag discomfort

Postby edward_adams » 28 Jul 2007, 16:46

Thank you, I think so too, but I guess I'm a little biased.
Can the skin tage hurt during the start of a BM?
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2007, 16:53

Yeah, anything that rubs on it can make it hurt so definitely it could be pain from the skin tag.

Postby edward_adams » 28 Jul 2007, 16:57

Urgh, I'm so confused. I have no idea what is hurting me anymore....
2 weeks until I see a surgeon.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2007, 17:00

Well, if it is a skin tag you will feel a bump just right outside. If that hurts when you touch it that may be the culprit. I would try to stay off the bum as much as possible. Lie down on your stomach on the floor and play with your baby that way. You can even take a blanket outside and enjoy the Summer. Try the advil and you can even alternate that with aleve and see which works better for pain so you can get through the next 2 weeks!

Postby edward_adams » 28 Jul 2007, 17:07

Hmmm...I've been lying on my back and that may be way I've been having such a horrible day.
Have a good evening and thanks for you help as always.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 02 Aug 2007, 08:54

for me, skin tag was always a dull throbbing pain that just radiates everywhere. not necessarily a burning pain. but this pain was intense and sometimes felt like someone was stabbing you right down there!
with a fissure for me, it was always a burning, poking, pounding pain that came from the inside.
skin tag was on the outside and even just touching it on the outside was tricky. especially when cleaning after a bm.
skin tags usually don't bleed.
fissures do.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby jqt » 28 Sep 2015, 11:57

Yes, the Vicks can often work wonders, but in my two years of experience, these fissures are very often like 'Chameleons' from day-to-day, and so what works or helps on one given day may do nothing at all, or may make matters worse on the next day! Another topical treatment that SOMETIMES worked for me was Olive Oil, and I recall days when this would work well on the very day before or after the day when Vicks would work well. Also, it often helps to apply a small portion of a 'fan-folded' portion of gauze tissue to the area, which helps draw away excessive moisture. And on some days, just the gauze and as much dry air as possible seems to help. Soon, I was able to discern which kinds of fissure pain or discomfort would respond best to which ointment or treatment: days when it felt like "broken glass" would usually respond best to warm baths followed by just the gauze, and days where it felt like muscle spasms would 'rule the day' I was able to find relieve from performing light exercises (kegel: not just for women anymore!) along with 10 mg Baclofen TID (I'm very new here, and I don't know of the 'etiquette' with regards to discussing specific medications, but there are several so-called 'muscle relaxers' that actually work in the brain to relieve these painful muscle aches (in my own case, these were some severe Levator Ani Spasms). Still others have talked about using coconut oil, or honey, and various other topical agents, and my bit of advice from two years of experience is to TRY SEVERAL of these, because what works on one day may be useless on the next day. By using a variety of ointments, over time, you may learn and find that certain types of pain respond best to a specific agent (or on some days, none at all) on various other days. Hot or warm water baths are, in my opinion, still the "Gold Standard" for relieving the severe pain from Fissure in Ano, but I realize that this modality is seldom available to those who are 'stranded' all day at a job, or for those who may be stuck riding on the bus.
jqt

Topics: 1