CRS experinece

Choosing CRS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

CRS experinece

Postby gsmthe » 03 Apr 2024, 11:22

Hi all, I am considering LIS since I have tried everything so far and nothing worked. To give you some background my fissure occurred after a 2nd haemorrhoid surgery. The 1st one was a stapled hemorrhoidectomy and the 2nd one was milligan morgan I believe. After the 2nd one I developed a chronic fissure.

I've tried GTN, diltiazem and nifedipine along with 2 rounds of botox.

Now I am considering a the LIS surgery. The doctor is experienced CRS but I asked him how many LIS surgeries did and he said not many since most of the patients heal with the other treatments but he said he feels confident to do the LIS. He also said that he prefers to cut less and be conservative to avoid the possibility of incontinence. He is also going to perform a manometry before we decide for surgery.

When you had yours, did you ask your doctor how many surgeries (LIS) they did?

Thanks.
gsmthe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: CRS experinece

Postby Rich44 » 24 Apr 2024, 15:39

Based on how you spell "haemorrhoid" I do not think you live in the US so how I picked my doctor may not pertain to you.

I went to my CRS because of this:

He was an early leader in laparoscopic colorectal surgery in Illinois. He is an active teacher on the national and international levels and has trained medical students, general surgery residents, colorectal surgery residents, and minimally invasive surgery fellows. His interests involve improving the surgical treatment of colon and rectal cancer, with special attention to minimally invasive surgery. He is a member of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeon (ASCRS), American College of Surgeons (ACS), Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), and Warren H. Cole Society.

In addition, he is:

Board-certified in Colon and Rectal Surgery, and General Surgery.
Author of multiple publications and book chapters in the field of colorectal surgery.
Clinical Professor of Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Vice-Chair of Surgery and Chief of the Colon and Rectal Surgery Division at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
Associate Program Director of Minimally Invasive Colon and Rectal Surgery Fellowship at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
Past President of Chicago Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons

Special Procedures & Techniques

Laparoscopic, robotic and open surgery for colon and rectal cancer as well as benign conditions
Advanced colonoscopy and transanal procedures
Complex anorectal procedures
Sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of April 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist