Well, I do have fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Well, I do have fissures

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2007, 13:06

I was able to get an appt. right away this morning and went in feeling pretty sick to my stomach. I told the doctor about my stomach and that I think it's the Metamucil. He took me off of it , told me to keep taking my Nexium for acid reflux, and to go off my multivitamin w/ iiron that i take for anemia. I had already stopped taking the extra iron pill when I first had the bleeding a couple of months ago. Anyway, his computer system was down today so I had to pretty much tell him my history about having irritable bowel syndrome, lots of BMs in the morning and that he had put me on Nexium a few months ago to help get rid of some of the acid. And that within a month of taking the Nexium, I had a couple days of not going to the bathroom and when I finally did it bled. So, came in to see him a couple of months ago when it first bled and he said it was a scratch and to just take Metamucil. And I told him besides my stomach being upset, the bleeding had not stopped and I was worried about that.
He was more concerned about my stomach and was talking about a CT of my stomach and he wanted bloodwork on Thursday morning because I had been able to get a few crackers down this morning and he wanted me to fast beforehand. He was pretty much going to leave it at that and I said "could you check out my rear because I'm nervous that it hasn't healed yet". He said "it was really just a small scratch and if it was midline that would be more serious, but he remembered mine was off to the side. I told him that my husband looked at it the other day and said it was midline. So, he checked rather quickly and roughly for my liking. I think he thought I was being silly about it. Well, he changed his tune when he said I have 2 fissures that he can see. Geesh! So, I get blood taken Thursday and see a surgeion next Tuesday afternoon.
I just knew this didn't seem right for it to take so long to heal if it was just a scratch. Hopefully, my tummy will calm down so I can eat. Not sure what I'm going to do when the surgeon says I need to up my fiber and soften the stool. It's eating up my stomach for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with IBS. I don't know. :-(
The doctor said to try to keep it moist by using Vaseline and then he mentioned Tucks. I was so lightheaded from not eating that I didn't realize until I left that I didn't understand which would be better. So, I called and his nurse said she would recommend the Tucks on there all the time. It will keep it moist and it will soothe it. So, I have one there now and see how it goes. Feels funny to have something up my rear like that! Doesn't hurt or sting or anything. Actually, feels really good other than a little funny walking! :-) Can't remember if I've asked this before, but have Tucks helped you all at times?
My other questions are what can I expect at the surgeon's office for a first visit? Do they right away talk surgery or is there other things to try first? I wonder what will happen in the next few days without extra fiber. This should be interesting, but my stomach was just ate up and I'm hoping it will calm down now.
Thanks for listening to all this! You guys are a lifesaver!
Julie

Re: Well, I do have fissures

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2007, 17:27

I am so glad you insisted on him checking back there. I am sorry to hear you have two fissures and are having problems with your stomach. But that is good they are doing a thorough work-up on you. It may help to improve things overall.

I haven't had the surgery so I can't really answer that specifically about the first visit.

I use to put Tucks pads between my cheeks when I had hemorrhoids when I was pregnant. That was soothing, though I walked around with my pants being wet!! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I would take some baths in the meantime and maybe consider a stool softener or a different fiber source like Natural Advantage for Chronic Constipation. They do have other supplements for IBS too you might want to check out. I got mine off of Amazon.com.

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2007, 19:20

Julie,
I have not had surgery either. I have had 2 shots of Botox believe it or not. I had to be put out in the OR for 10 mins and I was done. They have worked quite well for me. I have had hardly any pain with this second shot. As for the metamucil I could not drink that crap either. It made me sick to my stomach. I don't have IBS but I switched to the wafers and I do fine eating one of those everyday. I also drink alot of water. I am sorry you have 2 fissures. Write down any questions before you go see you surgeon, ask about Botox. Also ask you doctor about different fiber supplements.
Take Care
Patty

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2007, 19:30

There was a great thread under the surgery section about what questions to ask your doctor too.

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2007, 19:52

Yes, I think I will try the stool softener again. My stomach is feeling much better this evening. Just a little bit sick feeling, but I'm able to eat a little more. And the smell of food isn't making me sick! Yay!
Not really thrilled with the doctor at all and the information he gives. I told my husband about some of the things that happened today there and he's not happy at all. Looks like we'll be looking for a new primary tomorrow. Hate to start looking again, but this guy is so quick and doesn't give suggestions at all. Luckily, I had written some questions down for him about ointments, vaseline, tucks, etc. otherwise he would have just let me go without offering any help at all.
I was reading the Tucks packaging and it says to not use it more than 6 times a day for a few minutes each time. I remembered when I had babies that I was told to put Tucks on the pad. But, I can't remember how many days that went on. Because he said to keep it moist down there do you think it's okay to use them all the way till next Tuesday when I see the surgeon? I just don't trust this doctor's knowledge or the nurse about anything right now.
At one point, I asked him a question about something I read on the board, can't remember what it was right now. He got very uppity and said " don't play doctor". The last time a doctor said something like that to me, we found out 4 years later that he had misdiagnosed me and the medicines I had been on for 4 years was making me sick, not the chronic illness that he said I had and really didn't. So, I really didn't like hearing that. I was too tired and sick to get on him, but I left thinking I don't like him.
Thanks, Patty, for the info on the botox and the fiber wafers. I will write everything down and ask alot of questions. The nice thing about this surgeon is I know her and have been referred to her before for a consultation. She's a breast surgeon, but he said she's a colorectal surgeon today. So, I guess she does both. She was very patient and took her time with me so I'm looking forward to seeing her agan.
Okay, that ended up being long! :-)
Hopefully, my posts will shorten up once I get this all out. I guess I just need to talk it out right now and you all have so much knowledge! Thanks!

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2007, 08:33

Well, I went in yesterday morning to do blood work at the primary doctor. I was so sick to my stomach. He wasn't in the office yet, so his receptionist called the CRS's office and was able to get my appt. moved to this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon I was able to eat some cereal and later had some wheat toast. I decided not to take the stool softener last night just in case it's messing with my stomach, too. I was upset that I didn't go to the bathroom yesterday and was worried. But, this morning I made myself eat some more cereal (couldn't eat much) but it worked. I went to the bathroom a little bit ago. It was soft and much smaller than those huge ones that I had on the Metamucil. And it didn't bleed, just stung a little. I forgot to say that when I went a couple of days ago it really hurt like glass cutting it, but no bleeding. I think it's helping to not have such big around BMs.
I hope the CRS can help today with figuring out how to keep my stools soft and small and get my stomach to stop burning and nauseous.
Got a question, though. I was feeling so bad the other day when I went to see the primary that before I went I printed out all my symptoms, what I've been taking, and questions for him to read because I wasn't sure I could even think when I was there. Plus, when I got there I was happy I had the paper because his computer system was down and all his records are on there. He didn't seem real thrilled with reading it, but he's not exactly a good example of a doctor.
Do you think it's a good idea to write out what's been going on and let the CRS read it today? I'm afraid I'll miss telling her something important and she won't think to ask.
Thanks,
Julie

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2007, 08:56

I think that is a good idea Julie. I think a good doctor would want to have as much information to help problem solve. I often write down things and take it along because I can let the CRS often guide the interview and before I know it she is walking out and I have missed my chance.

I think my doctors are used to me having my list now.

Good luck with everything. I really hope they can figure out what is going on. You sound miserable.

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2007, 09:21

Thanks, Lecia. I sure hope the doctor can give me some help today. I just don't know what she'll suggest to help keep it soft. I'm really worried about fiber supplements right now. Maybe Milk of Magnesia? I've not taken many laxatives before, so I hope whatever she picks is easy on my stomach. I don't mind gas when it doesn't hurt, actually it lets me know that a BM is on its way usually. Just so whatever I take doesn't irritate the upper stomach. That's what I'm worried about. I need to eat! :-) I'm down about 10 lbs. now in the past couple of weeks. I'm not overweight normally, so I'm not real happy with losing it and so fast. Once I eat, I know it'll come back quick. Just would love to have an appetite again!
My husband is getting off early today to take me which is nice. Driving lightheaded for 25 miles each way wasn't something I wanted to try.
Thanks for the kind words. I have my paper ready, a copy for her and a copy for me.
Julie

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2007, 10:00

I take a fiber supplement called Natural Advantage for chronic constipation. The fiber is there doesn't make it bulky and I don't get any gas with it or bloating. It also has probiotics which helps to keep you regular. I got mine on amazon.com. There are a lot of reviews there if you want to read it while you are waiting to go.

Your doctor might suggest miralax too. It just helps to keep things soft. But I think you must be having some trouble higher up in the gastric region from some of the symptoms you are describing.

good luck with everything and let us know how it goes!

Postby buttgirl » 14 Dec 2007, 12:41

I have found the chronic constipation pillst o be a godsend. They really help me keep things soft without any side effects. I was astounded when I first started using them and have never healed faster than when I am taking them. Poo consistency and digestion really do make difference when dealing with these awful things.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67