What are your outcomes from tag removal surgery?

A sub-forum to talk about what our fissures, etc., leave behind. Tags, uncomfortable and sometimes painful. This is the place!

Return to Anal Skin Tag/Sentinel Pile

What are your outcomes from tag removal surgery?

Postby chiaseed » 22 Aug 2018, 23:53

I'm considering getting my tag removed because I'm self-conscious about it when it comes to sex and dating. My doctor told me that tag removal usually causes a new tag to form, but that it would probably be smaller than the one I have now...

I'm curious to hear from people who've had tag(s) removed if new ones formed. I'm worried to go through the pain/ time off and end up looking the same or even worse. :(
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: What are your outcomes from tag removal surgery?

Postby patience_and_healing » 23 Aug 2018, 12:31

I have yet to read a story on this board about skin tag removal that didn't cause more problems. If it doesn't cause you pain or actual discomfort, I suggest you work on accepting your body the way it is. A potential partner who expects your body to be perfect like the ones onscreen is not worth wasting your time with. I have a long scar running down my abdomen from a trauma surgery in my teenage years. Not once has it ever bothered my husband. I hope you can find the same kind of non - judgmental partner for yourself.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby chiaseed » 23 Aug 2018, 13:47

Honestly, no partner has ever been rude enough to say anything about it, and I've had many partners who definitely, explicitly appreciate that part of my body (sorry if TMI). I've done work over the years to become comfortable and confident with my body, and mostly have felt this way for years. I don't worry about my breasts not being perfectly perky, or having a small belly, or whatever, but this one insecurity is just won't go away.

During sex, I act as if I am not at all self-conscious and ignore it and don't try to hide that part of my body like some people here write about. And if someone did say something rude, I would honestly be angry and kick them out of bed because I'm only human and it's ridiculous to be rude and judgmental about such a small flaw and I don't care or judge or comment on partners for various little scars or moles or stretch marks or whatever, and if someone is sharing their body with you, don't be a jerk, etc.

But even after years of faking it til you make it (like 6 years no?) and no partners being judgmental as far as they've ever let on, I just can't get over it and I feel horrified if I look at that part of my body. So it seems like, maybe I can actually just fix it?

Anyway, I think your advice is generally really good advice, and I'm daunted by the pain--anyone whose had an AF has had enough pain in that area!!--and possibility of bad outcomes. But I just cannot seem to get over the insecurity. :/
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby patience_and_healing » 24 Aug 2018, 19:52

I can somewhat understand where you are coming from. I have scars on both sides of my perianal area caused by hidradenitis. One side has been surgically fixed, and the other one will be done in the future at some point. I feel so sad if I sit to think about how two years ago I had normal skin there, and now it will never be the same for the rest of my life. But as my PT recently said, I'll take what I got, over the other stuff. Basically advising me to accept my body as it is.

I encourage you to check out the book 'Feeling good' by Dr. David burns. It has great information on cognitive therapy and I think it's helpful even for those who don't have depression. It teaches you to challenge your thoughts and established beliefs and learn to replace them with more objective and balanced ones.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40