What to do now?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: What to do now?

Postby val » 28 Mar 2009, 13:42

Hi Susie,
I cant answer all the questions as I havent had botox! But I think maybe the nitro would lose some of, or most of itseffectiveness if used after the expiry date. I've been using it on and off for well over a year now. I find if I stop using it for a week or so, then start again, it works better.
With regards to the surgery, I had spinal surgery with artificial disc replacement in october and chose to have no medication except paracetamol in the hospital. Then I just ate fruit and drank loads of water while in there. And I was the only person on the ward able to have a number two after 2 days! It was a bit drastic, but I was soooo terrified of tearing the fissure even more! In my experience in the hospital, they just give out too many pain meds, then lactulose, and didnt even warn all the patients to drink lots of water with it and they all had bad stomach pains. The GA itself seems to cause constipation and I think morphine is given in theatre, which is another bad culprit! They didnt let me use the nitro before the op, or straight afterwards, I'm not sure why. Might be an idea to take vaseline in with you?
Good luck xx
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Mar 2009, 16:13

We have a number of "botox boardies" who I'm sure will chime in soon, and one or two nitro guys/gals (including Val!)
Deleted User 5

Postby pinky » 28 Mar 2009, 16:52

Dear Susie,welcome to the board.sorry you got a fissure after colonoscopy.
I did have 1 shot of botox and it didnt help me.I had LIS which put me out of my misery.Botox can last upto 3 months.
GTN increases the blood supply to the muscle.its advisable not to use any medicines after its expiry date.it will be good if you get some treatment for your fissure before the knee op.do you get any pain during BMs and after?will you be seeing your crs soon?
hope it gets better for you
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Corsi » 29 Mar 2009, 03:29

Botox should last 2 - 3 months, but is strongest in the beginning and then it is slowly loosing it's effect my CRS told me. I have had 3 Botox shots, and I am not the one to ask since I regret having those painful and toxic needles up my butt - I now wish I has LIS earlier! Much earlier... I don't know if LIS will heal me or destroy my life yet, but for me I had to try something else...fissurepain was slowly Image my life.
Botox should paralyze your sphincter...
Nitro is supposed to paralyze your muscle and therefore BM can be strange if you use it before BM. I used nitro for a year. I agree with Val, they tend to give you too much medicine and don't thing how the medicine will affect other parts of you.
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 Mar 2009, 06:00

Well, Corsi, if LIS was going to destroy your life that would have happened by now, buddy! Give us an update on your healing -- what is your progress now after these past several weeks? Image
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2009, 08:28

Susie - I think because you have to apply nitro twice daily as stated the effects will be of that time frame, I used the cream 3 times a day and before/after BMS for over a year then developed a sensitivity it Image when i stopped the cream my symptoms returned!
Botox does feel very different from the creams, I am sure Corsi will agree with me there !
Botox can be hit or miss really, sometimes it can last 12 weeks like it did with me and for others only a few weeks ! :roll:
For me botox gave me great relief its just that it wore off !! I had to have general anaesthetic for the botox so the effects of that and the injections site did knock me around for a week or so !
Repeated injections of botox are shown to claim higher healing stats..
http://anal-fissure.org/references-websites-facts-f5/botox-t1622.htm

update

Postby susie sore » 15 Apr 2009, 18:01

Hi all,
I finally got contacted today with an appointment for mid-May with the same CRS that I saw before. I had to get a referral from my family doc so that extra step made it take longer. It will be good to find out whats the situation is with my fissure, i.e. has it healed at all since last fall. Funny thing is the date of my appointment is exactly one year since I had the colonoscopy that started all this!
Susie
susie sore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby cherylk » 15 Apr 2009, 18:16

Did the many necessary bathroom trips during the "cleanse" cause your fissure?????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46