What to do :(

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

What to do :(

Postby bumholepain » 29 Oct 2013, 12:17

Been lurking on here for a while and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

My name's bumholepain and I have an anal fissure.

About 5 years ago is when I first experienced it. BM time was a terrifying experience, where the toilet bowl would end up looking like a murder scene. Glyceral trinitrate helped at first, but it kept reoccuring so I saw a surgeon and had an anal surgical stretch, which worked almost immediately.

Within the last couple of years, it's reared it's ugly head once again. This time around I've learned how to manage it, which is by sitting in a warm bath after a bm, occasionally applying glyceral trinitrate, but most effectively by drastically reducing my food intake so that I reduce the frequency of going to the toilet. On top of that I tend to limit my diet to mostly fruit/vegetables and take regular fibre supplements.

Last weekend, I cut myself again really badly and was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep all night. I've been managing it in my usual way since then, so it's not hurting too badly now (though still bleeds every time I got to the toilet).

Anyway, this time the re-occurance got me worried for the first time and I really don't know what I should do next :cry:

Should I just give in to the fact that this is with me forever? Is there anything more sinister that could happen to me as a result? Should I go back to the surgeon? Any words of advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

bhp
bumholepain

Topics: 1

Re: What to do :(

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 29 Oct 2013, 13:39

Hi bumholepain...Thanks for coming in.

You asked...
Should I just give in to the fact that this is with me forever?

Don't you dare my friend. Although its tempting isn't it especially when they just
keep coming back on us. There were a few times that I almost resigned myself
into thinking the same during my long battles. But I finally found a routine/diet
that worked for me even though it took years.

Whether you end up needing surgery or just a little more TLC is hard to tell but
please do not give up. Think back to when your current fissure started, was it from
being constipated or pushing a bit too hard. Then there's two things right of the bat
that you can control and work on before resigning to live this way.

That diet of more fruits and veggies that we all adhere to a tad better whenever AF's
arrive, would it not help if we just ate like this more before our fissures set up camp.
Soft stools, less straining, more water, more soluble type fiber, and overall healthy
eating habits will do wonders and may be just what you need to keep those AF's at
bay!!

Yes it may turn into something more sinister, but we will do all we can to avoid that.
Lets not worry about the possible hemmy's or abscess or skin tags right now. That's
what your Dr. visits are for so lets keep going to them for check-ups. In the mean time
do all in your power to keep stools soft and to keep yourself from straining on the loo, ok.

Good luck and always remember ....Image
Deleted User 2950

Re: What to do :(

Postby bumholepain » 30 Oct 2013, 14:07

Thanks for the encouragement. I've decided to get a referral to see a surgeon.

Will report back...
bumholepain

Topics: 1

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here