worried!! Need some advice please....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: worried!! Need some advice please....

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 11:58

Steve, Paul,
Did you avoid taking your miralax/movicol while taking the antibiotics and did it help? I have slowly reduced down to one colace and added some bread, cheese and today I only had two bms that were a little more firmer. This is my last day on the flagyl so I guess this will be my plan when I take it after surgery. Hope it works. Thanks

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 13:41

I continued with the Movicol throughout, I'm not sure if it helped or not since my stools were already loose with the Flagyl, be careful with the cheese and bread dawn Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 13:50

I will be careful with the food,lol
Steve, it doesn't make since to me to take a laxative or a stool softener when the antibiotic is giving you the runs though?

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 13:55

hehe I know, but I was worried about having the tiniest bit of hard poop in the way of the surgery site causing friction, I must admit, it was like having diarrhea and the burning was like OMG Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 13:59

LOL well, I can tell you from my experience with the flagyl that cutting down on the 4 colace to the one made a huge difference in the amount and consistency..lol
But it's going to be weird because I will have to do my regular amounts of stool softeners after I'm done with the antibiotics and before the second day in which I noticed the flagyl kicks in.
Thank God, I log everything so I have it to go by....lol

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 14:06

dawn, it'll all be over before you know it, then you can come back here and share your experience with others (and me) , you'll be a LIS veteran... Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 14:15

thanks... You all have been very helpful and I will be so happy when it is over and I'm where you are now in weeks of healing.
Gosh, this is such a nightmare though,LOL

Postby PaulsPain » 23 Sep 2010, 14:58

Hey Dawn-
I have never used Miralax or stool softeners. I have used my diet to control things. Plus my stool is usually more on the loose side so I take fiber supplement to bulk things up. For me having a formed soft bowel movement causes the least pain.
I found it took my digestive system a week or so to reestablish "normal" even after stopping the antibiotics. Keep eating the yogurt to get the healthy flora going.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 20:10

Thank you Paul. I will keep eating the yogurt. I really appreciate the advice.

Postby gahgah604 » 11 Oct 2010, 16:45

What is weird about this is Flagyl is used to treat diarrhea (usually caused by cdiff) and it is one of the Ab's that least cause diarrhea. I think if you cut down on the stool softener's and increase soluble fibre intake... you should be ok. Rice is good because it bulks up the stool. I would also look into a product called Florastor... much more effective then yogurt while you are on AB's. Eating yogurt while on AB's is useless... the AB's kill everything (including the yogurt) Florastor even works while taking any AB's. Yogurt is fine after a course of AB's.
Vaseline is a good way to create a barrier if your having watery diarrhea :)
hope that helps
gahgah604
Salt Bather

Topics: 17