WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: WOW, JUST FOUND OUT I HAD AN ABCESS AND FISTULA AND HAD SURG

Postby adam » 07 Jul 2011, 23:27

DAY 2 POST OP: NIGHT TIME
As I got out of bed to go to the washroom one last time to change the cottonball, I checked the kleenex I put after the cottonball as usual. The whole kleenex was RED. The paper my crs gave me had a section on bleeding. It said that if there is a lot, put 3 cottonballs, and apply firm pressure on the bleeding area, while you lay face-down with your hips on 4 stacked pillows, so that your bottom is higher than your heart to relieve the blood flow, all for 20 minutes, and if it didn't stop, go to the emergency clinic.
I did so for 20 minutes and went back to the washroom. The kleenex wasn't so bad this time but the cottonballs were soaked. I got in the shower just to rinse the area clean so I could get a good look at it. Some blood was mixing with the water but not a lot after a minute or so in the shower. I cleaned it well, got out and dried it. I couldn't tell exactly where the blood was coming from, but it seems like it was coming from inside the fistula tunnel/wound. So I packed again with 3 cotton balls, laid face down with hips on pillows. Checked after an hour or so and the bleeding went down substantially enough for me to go to bed.
I'm going to sleep with my hips on the pillows though just incase I may lose a lot of blood through the night. There's no pain either so I'm not too worried. If there is a lot of blood I'm going to call my crs to inquire about this.
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2011, 23:55

Adam,
I think contacting the CRS would be good idea if it continues to bleed.
Maybe laying down will help it to stop tonight.
Take care!

Postby val » 08 Jul 2011, 02:55

Oh Adam, so sorry to hear that - how scary for you.
I think Dexterdude had something very similar happen and he had an explanation for it.
Yes, contacting your CRS seems a very good idea.
Hope you feel better soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 08 Jul 2011, 12:25

Yep, had the same. The docs told me that probably I made a wrong move somehow and the fresh tissue broke and bled. It was also quite a lot of blood for me, but after talking to the docs about it, turns out it just *seemed* much.
I guess the most important thing is not to panic in such a situation (i certainly did) so I think you were very cool. I would also advise to call the doc if it happens again. They told me that if I get it again they will go in and look what's causing it.
Hope that won't be the case for either of us though!
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2011, 13:12

I have wondered if the way some have to clean the area would cause the womb to break open?
I would never use a wash cloth on that area after surgery but that's just me. Also packing with cotton all day would seem to keep moisture in... I know it's different than LIS with the leakage and blood with this type of surgery, but it seems airing would be good. I know it helped with my skin tag removal... I guess that's pretty hard to do when you have to stop the bleeding though.
Hope things are going better for you today Adam and Dexter!

Postby adam » 08 Jul 2011, 13:24

DAY 3 POST OP POST MORNING BM:
I woke up today and I was relieved the kleenex had a little spot of blood and the cottonballs weren't soaked and were kind of dry. I took them out and seen more drainage than blood so it was a good sign.
Shortly after I had my bm, my stool wasn't as soft as yesterday's unfortunately, but didn't seem to cause any damage anyway. I checked the stool and it only had maybe 1 rice-sized spot of blood on it, not much blood on the wiping kleenex either. I cleaned it in the shower well for a good 15 minutes, dried it and packed it, and I'm doing alright!
I don't think I'll call my crs as the paper they gave me with directions said there may be a lot of bleeding, and what to do about it if there is, and what to do if it doesn't stop. It did stop so this time I'll let it slide. But one more time of it bleeding again and I will call. However, seeing it's Friday and they'll be closed all weekend, I'm going to call right now...okay well dr rudd called me back after i left a message with a nurse, and he said any bleeding from now until it heals is normal. I also asked about the cleaning and he said to use my finger to get in the wound with a little soap not a lot.
Overall very happy right now making home made pizza pockets with whole wheat dough that i mixed with flax and whole wheat flour. No cheese but tomato sauce onions mushrooms carrots and chicken pieces. I hope my stool doesn't get too hard lol
adam
Salt Bather

Postby adam » 08 Jul 2011, 13:32

Dexterdude, yea the blood is pretty shocking. We just have to keep our heads and know that we're able to walk breathe and think just fine so we're doing okay. We are both very lucky we weren't at a mall or something wearing white jogging pants lol.
Dawn, again you are so very right as usual, a cloth shouldn't be used as I specifically told my doctor I did and he said nooo, use just your finger and a little soap.
Geez Dawn, I'm beginning to think you should get into this trade. It's never to late to go back to school to be a surgeon, or it would be even easier to be a nurse. But you seem to be enjoying your life as it is seeing how pleasant you always are. Keep it up it's good karma ! Image
adam
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 08 Jul 2011, 13:50

Hey Adam! I'm so glad you are doing so well. You are definitely taking good care of yourself. I'm glad, though, that you are not using a rag anymore (yikes!). Baby wipes or those cotton pads that women use to remove make-up work quite well for butt cleaning.
I've had blood too. It is really unsettling to see blood coming from the butt! I've bled from all kinds of injuries and wounds, but this is something else! :D I was supposed to have my follow up today, but my doc had to reschedule. Anyway, the secretary I spoke to also told me that bleeding 11 days post-op is quite normal, so it looks like we can both confirm that the bleeding is ok (in moderation!)
Your meal sounds great ... now I'm hungry!
Dawn is amazing. She has been so wonderful and helpful to many of us here. We are very lucky to have her around. Big thanks to you, Dawn!
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2011, 19:52

Aww Adam,
I think I would make an awful Dr. or Nurse, Lol
I can't stand the site of blood or anything gross, hahaha!
I have a daughter who is going into the medical field. She is at the hospital 3 days a week right now and just hearing about some of the things she see's and deals with makes me cry and sometimes queazy...
Your welcome though and that's what makes this forum so awesome- everyone seems to pay it forward:) Image Image

Postby adam » 08 Jul 2011, 21:04

Well it's good there's a little Dawn in the medical field somehwere!
adam
Salt Bather