update from luxdunt on fissurectomy with botox

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

update from luxdunt on fissurectomy with botox

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 07:16

Hey all, so it's only been two weeks post op but the pain is still awful unless I drink MOM and then I can have a somewhat normal existence for a few hrs, no joke:(
Anyways, going back to the first Dr today to see what he thinks. He didn't do the surgery (basically b/c I wanted a second opinion, and he's also way too cute to be looking at my bum for too long..and he works at my hospital which is totally out of the question b/c by no means am I gunna wake up in the RR and see him and all the other Doctors and nurses that I work with, I did the surgery at a diff hospital FYI :) )
I know, I'm weird. So back to why I'm posting, I'm going to him today to see how he thinks i'm progressing since he's known me the longest and can gage any real progress. Then I'm gunna consider LIS. I feel in my gut that it's the only thing that will work for me and I figure If I'm already going thru so much anal pain now might as well go for the big surgery and deal with the pain all at once instead of healing from the fissurectomy, which I hear can take a while, and then going back to surgery again for LIS.
I'll write back after and let everyone know how it went. Thanks for listening and hope everyone has a good day !

Re: update from luxdunt on fissurectomy with botox

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2008, 17:25

Just to update ya. Went to the CRS and he says that he's not optimistic that I will heal completely from the fissurectomy+botox I had two weeks ago. He thinks the next step is LIS but suggests I wait some time.
I don't know what to do. I'm ready for LIS but I'm not sure when. I took two weeks off in April to go to Thailand but had to cancel the trip b/c of this so I'm thinking that then will be good.
However, I have been feeling better everyday but I can only attribute it to MOM and my daily dosage of 2colace, 1 Mg, 2 fishoil, probiotics, water,baths and tons of fiber. Basically I don't know if I should wait it out and see if I heal (though I'm scared of re-tears b/c I've already had two after healing completely).
Any suggestions?

Postby Fissulyna » 12 Feb 2008, 21:07

It is hard Erin to give suggestion ; ), we are all different : )) ! I can only speak for myself - I didn't want to go through experience of the reopening of the fissure any more and didn't want to be slave to my butt to the rest of my life so I happily jumped on that table. If I could go back, the only thing that I would do differently is that I would do it sooner and maybe with different CRS.
If I were you I would wait about 4 more weeks to see how it goes. Forget Thailand ; ) - now your health has a priority. You have your whole life ahead of you to travel and have fun !!!! Just one more thing - don't overdo stool softeners. They should not be hard but not too soft either. My CRS warned me that colon can become too weak over time if it does not have "to work" and first normal poop would reopen fissure. Your poop should be formed but soft - like dough for now. Later even more formed. Having it liquid is not advisable.
I was also told that I should wait one year max, or I would risk scarring and than even LIS might not help. Also, having too much scar tissue can cause incontinence. When I heard that I had one more argument for doing it sooner than later. BUT, as I said, those are all statistics, we are all different and heal differently so you really have to think deep and hard and see what is your gut feeling and make decision with what you are comfortable with regardless what we all say ; ))) !!!
Best of luck !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2008, 12:40

If the doctor thinks you are going to need it anyway, I would opt for sooner rather than later. I figure if I am going to be in pain I might as well just have the surgery. But you just had the other surgery so maybe you should give youself some time to see if that has helped first.

See, I am of no help!