Sphincterotomy and Hemmorhoidectomy four days ago ...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Sphincterotomy and Hemmorhoidectomy four days ago ...

Postby StevePain » 21 Aug 2010, 15:49

Phil.... Image
I'm glad that everything is ok, I reckon it's part and parcel of the surgery to get bleeding from time to time, I'm 17 days out and now I'm getting a bit of moistness down there, mainly after passing gas, also had a bit of blood spotting but nothing major, the pain from the first week is just a memory, pain now is just occasional, BM's are easily passed and uneventful, the sitz baths have stopped but the fibre diet remains.
I saw my GP on tuesday and he said that it's obvious that I'd still get pain for a long while yet because it's such a delicate area. Sitting is getting slightly easier too, I'm still quite uncomfortable when driving though and cannot sit completely upright, the black bruise I had to the left of my anus has totally gone so things must be healing down there.
Happy healing.. Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Philber » 21 Aug 2010, 20:02

Hey Steve,
I'm really happy that things are progressing so well for you. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery now.
I swear: I will never take an uneventful BM for granted.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2010, 20:34

Glad to see you guys are feeling better. Lord knows you deserve it!!!!!!!!!
I agree with never taking an uneventful BM for granted! I don't think I will ever take my health for granted again. Life is so beautiful without pain. I could careless about all the small things that use to bother me...There's nothing better than feeling well!!

Postby StevePain » 23 Aug 2010, 09:19

Nothing, NOTHING is worse than rectal pain! I think it's the most underestimated pain there is, when people talk about hemmorhoids they usually make a joke about them, same with a fissure, until you've actually experienced the pain then you would simply have no idea how "off the scale" it can be, even some docs and CRS' have no real idea about the pain which is quite scary to say the least!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 23 Aug 2010, 18:04

That's why I think CRS docs should have to endure an AF as part of their training. :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Philber » 23 Aug 2010, 18:54

It is unfortunate that so many doctors do not have a good understanding of rectal pain. And it is also unfortunate that anything rectal is such a taboo subject in polite conversation. It makes the suffering worse, because it has to be endured in private, without the support that we might openly get if we had a different ailment. I understand that people do not always want to hear about my BM adventures, and I'm not sure I want to share that side of my life with everyone I meet, but it is definitely more difficult when we have to suffer in silence.
That's one of the things that is so great about this forum. Everybody here knows exactly what everyone is talking about. It's like being able to talk to people about your problem without the 30 minute introduction to help them understand that rectal pain really isn't funny, and without the social stigma of talking about your butthole.
For me, the suffering gets a bit easier when I know that I am not suffering alone. Not that I wish it on anyone, of course, but I am strengthened by the fact that there are other people out there who know what I am going through. And I am grateful for the opportunity to talk to them through these forums.
Philber
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 23 Aug 2010, 19:56

I agree, there's nothing worse than butt pain and like you said you can't really get any support except from forums like this...I try not to even talk too much to my husband about this anymore. It's been hard on him too...
I wish that it wasn't so taboo and people were more supportive. I think that's what makes it so hard with going through the pain, then not eating or drinking anything you use to and looking like a loser because you can't really explain why you quit going here or there or doing things you normally would. I can't even keep my first born grand baby while my daughter works even though that was the plan before she was born. My daughter knows why but It's like you have to hide or lie about it.... Fissures are hell on earth. They can't kill you but make your life a living hell in every way possible. Image

Postby StevePain » 24 Aug 2010, 08:16

Fissures are a form of torture, both physically and mentally, anyone that says otherwise isn't a true sufferer, they control the way you live your life and confine you to the home, I've spent months and months just staying indoors mainly close to the bathroom.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Philber » 27 Aug 2010, 16:32

Well, with any luck this will be my last post in this particular thread.
I had my five week post-op follow-up appointment with my surgeon today. I feel nearly 100% now, so I was pretty confident that there were not going to be any problems. But I did have a few questions.
He took a look with just his hands, and said everything is healing nicely. He said it is not completely healed, but it should be within a week or two. He said there is a small, hard skin tag there, but that it would probably soften up over time and not be an issue.
He said if it does not bother me again, I do not need to see him again. As I am sure all of his patients must say, I said "Doc, I hope I never, ever see you again." He smiled.
I asked about reoccurrences, and he said it is about 3% for the fissure and 10% for the roids. He said the best thing I can do to prevent a repeat performance is to ensure smooth regular bowel movements without straining. He said I should probably take Metamucil morning and night indefinitely, but that I should wean myself slowly off the Miralax over a period of 6 months. I don't mind drinking that crap, but it is very expensive here and I won't at all mind seeing my last bottle of it.
I don't think I will ever go back to the diet I was on before. I like the new diet, I've dropped 20 pounds, I feel better and I think I look better. But, frankly, I would do anything to avoid having the roid and fissure pain that I had for years. I'd eat dog poo for the rest of my life. So having to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains doesn't seem that harsh a punishment.
Thank you all again for your support and encouragement. I know I am lucky in that I healed quickly and uneventfully. I am very, very grateful for that and it humbles me. I hope that all the sufferers find the relief that I have found.
I am cured.
Philber
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Aug 2010, 16:55

I am so happy for you Philber Image , you almost made me cry ... sheeeshhhh LOL What a wonderful and happy end Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
May you heal completely in a week and stay healed forever and ever Image !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61