3 questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 questions

Postby redyellowblue » 01 Sep 2009, 13:08

I am new here and I have some questions...
Does a anal examination hurt?
Did it hurt to poop after surgery?
How long did it take until pooping no longer hurt?
redyellowblue

Topics: 4

Re: 3 questions

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Sep 2009, 13:54

As you might have guessed, the answers for all three questions will vary, sometimes widely, for each individual.
Does a anal examination hurt? It does, but usually it is not any worse than the BM pain and sometimes it is only uncomfortable. Sometimes it is done under anesthesia (can you look into that?)
Did it hurt to poop after surgery? In about half the cases I have seen here (and I am guessing) yes, but it usually gets better each day and it is rarely as bad as the pre-surgical BM pain.
How long did it take until pooping no longer hurt?
For me about a week or so. For some it barely hurt at all even after the first day, and for others it took longer than me. There is just no simple answer for these questions, but I hope I gave you a rough idea.
Deleted User 5

Re: 3 questions

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Sep 2009, 15:12

1) It can hurt a lot and it can hurt little. It depends of how acute the fissure is and how big it is. It also depends ENORMOUSLY of the skill and patience of the colorectal surgeon. Plastic anoscope tube hurts less than metal one (wonder why all CRS do not use plastic ones - more comfortable and more hygienic !!!!, but than again - we ask ourselves about a lot of things that go on in CRS room and have no logic...)
2) I had 2 surgeries. After first one I had 95 % LESS pain than before surgery. After second had 60 % more pain - but second surgery involved 7 cuts total and it is not a standard way things are done - so , my first surgery should give you more realistic picture of what to expect if you will have only LIS done.
3) After first LIS poop did not hurt since day one post.op. There was some muscle pain due to the cut , but it was dull and mild - NOTHING to compare with fissure pain.
Hope it was of some help
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61