4 days later,Still hurting

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

4 days later,Still hurting

Postby Sarahp2222 » 22 Aug 2013, 18:16

How long is recovery after a Fistulotomy? Ive heard a week,4 days,1 month? I am really confused,but anyways I am on my 4th day,and it is still hurting pretty bad and the only time it doesnt hurt is if im in my chair in a comfortable position AND on my pain medication (2 pills every 6 hours).I am overweight,which it adds on the pressure of taking these sitz baths.
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: 4 days later,Still hurting

Postby Diamond » 23 Aug 2013, 00:47

It depends on the depth and overall size of your wound and on how quickly your body typically heals itself. When I've had them in the past.. my first two surgeries (with seton placement) .. the wounds took at least 8 weeks to close up properly. You don't want to rush it either.. that happened to me after the first surgery.. one of my incisions healed within 5 weeks I think.. and trapped some "stuff" inside so I had to go through another surgery to open it up again.
In terms of pain.. after my first surgery I was up and about after about 5 days, I was back to work in 2 weeks. After the second surgery, I was back to work in a week. This time I've had a fistulotomy and LIFT.. my wound is huge (about 6cm long) and it hurts like a b*tch! I'm avoiding pain meds due to constipation being a side effect.. I only take one percocet before a packing change. It's been 1 week since surgery and the pain is actually worse for me. I would suggest not sitting on it ..the pressure affects healing. I wasn't this careful the last 2 times but this time I'm barely sitting .. mostly lying on my side. I am trying to get an additional week off work. Since I have daily packing ..I can only take a sitz bath in the morning. I recommend the one that fits over your toilet seat.. I wouldn't be able to get in and out of a tub right now. And a handheld shower is a must.. the pressure from the warm water helps soothe the area. I've always used sea salt in my sitz bath ..I'm pretty sure that promotes healing too.
I'm also eating a diet high in protein and veggies, taking vitamin C supplement daily. I've taken zinc supplements in the past.. avoiding them this time as zinc can constipate you too.
Hope this helps!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Sarahp2222 » 23 Aug 2013, 19:57

Yeah ur right,it depends on the wound and the person,and My boyfriend seen it and says it looks better but its still painful.Ive been taking my pain pills for pain but I am noticing constipation.I need to take more of my Metamucil and Miralax I guess since I have NOT had a BM since before the surgery.Hope that wont hurt it real bad that I havent gotten a BM yet
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Postby Diamond » 24 Aug 2013, 16:47

How many days has it been since your BM?
I suffered constipation after my first surgery - weird thing is I was going to the washroom every morning so I thought I was okay. Then on day 5 I believe it was my body seized up. The pain I felt from the constipation was worse than anything I have ever encountered.
I would definitely do something about the BM sooner rather than later, because you don't want to rupture anything with hard stool. I've personally been drinking a LOT of water (10 glasses a day prob), trying to eat an apple a day, fruit smoothie with chia seed (for the fiber) in the morning. I did have what felt like constipation on day 2 and I drank prune juice which helped within a couple of hours.
Is there any packing in the wound? I have a huge wound that has to be packed daily - so a nurse looks at it every day and they will be doing measurements per week. Having gone through this before, I found that the depth of the wound would decrease by about a cm (maybe .25 inch) every week. It is important that it heals from the bottom up and the wound does not close prematurely.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kkmark » 24 Aug 2013, 22:06

Sarah
Try some prune juice it might help... N try to have a pear for some reason that helped to go... Lot of fiber
Hope u will have ur first BM soon without constipation
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Diamond » 25 Aug 2013, 13:19

I agree with pears or apples. I have also been eating a lot of grapes - mangos or guavas definitely help to get the bowels moving as well. Keep us posted on how it goes! I hope your pain is getting better!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sarahp2222 » 25 Aug 2013, 21:33

its so hard to get a BM right now
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Postby Diamond » 26 Aug 2013, 15:05

How many days has it been? Anything over 3 days and you're constipated. If it's over 5 days you may need a enema administered. You will probably want to check with your doctor depending on how bad your situation is. You don't want to force and end up tearing anything down there.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sarahp2222 » 28 Aug 2013, 03:15

I had my surgery 9 days ago and I feel really constipated and just took some Miralax hoping it will soften my stool enough so I wont keep holding in my pee to go to the bathroom cuz it hurts soo bad to even pee right now! :( Image 
Sarahp2222
Fibre Addict

Postby CharlestonLion » 28 Aug 2013, 07:45

Sarahp2222 wrote:I had my surgery 9 days ago and I feel really constipated and just took some Miralax hoping it will soften my stool enough so I wont keep holding in my pee to go to the bathroom cuz it hurts soo bad to even pee right now! :( Image 

Sounds to me like you need to give your doctor a call. If it is hurting to pee, I would also be concerned about a urinary track infection. That doesn't sound pleasant at all.....I hope you get some relief.
CharlestonLion
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1