6 days post LIS and sentinel pile removal

Still no BM

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

6 days post LIS and sentinel pile removal

Postby whiteflower » 12 Feb 2019, 10:38

Hey everyone, I’m 20 years old. I have this throbbing pain to the point that I couldn’t sleep so I decided to go see the doctor last Thursday (7 feb). He diagnosed me with chronic anal fissure and give me the choice of medication and surgery. I chose surgery because I don’t want to deal with this pain anymore and got the LIS surgery done and also remove the sentinel pile in the same day. After the local anaesthetic wore off it was EXCRUCIATING. The medication didn’t help at all and I can only sleep for 3 hours before waking up from the pain. The second day is better but still painful and the day after that it get better and better.

But now I’m having problem with BM. The doctor only prescribe me with pain meds but no laxative or any stool softener at all. My first BM was very painful and only a little bit come out. I felt like there’s still a lot inside and I constantly feel the need to go without any success. As soon as I got on the toilet, there’s so much pressure and straining but I felt like my sphincter doesn’t relax for the stool to come out. I also felt like the place where the tag was removed is swelling up and really tender. I tried taking fiber but it doesn’t seem to help and I tried putting my finger up in there but the stool isn’t really that hard.

I felt really frustrated and I went to the urgent care yesterday (11 feb). The doctor prescribed me MOM and antibiotics because I have low fever and told me to come back if I still can’t pass stool after 2 days.
I didn’t take the MOM yet because I’m scared of BM now and I really want to know if it will help soften the stool that is inside me for 6 days now. Also I was told to take the MOM before going to bed, but I don’t want to have BM in the morning before I take my pain meds because it is already painful when I wake up and my meds take about 20 minutes to take action. I really want the BM to be painless without straining at all.

I felt really stressed and frustrated now and I hope someone can help me with this problem.
whiteflower
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 6 days post LIS and sentinel pile removal

Postby Talesofmytail » 12 Feb 2019, 11:46

Hi whiteflour. I'm sorry you are in pain! I used Miralax (you can get it from any drug store) and drank a ton of water. If you are wanting to go the natural route, aloe vera juice is good and can be purchased at whole foods. Get the kind in the supplement section sans sugar though because I think they also have little bottles of sweetened aloe juice in the drink section. Also, try squatting to use the toilet. If you don't have a squatting potty, you can stack books or something under your feet so you are in a squatting position. This should prevent any kinks in your GI tract and make it easier to go. When I was in the worst pain, I also did deep breathing and envisioned something calming to me to help me relax pre-BM. I hope you get better soon!
Began suffering: 9/6/18
Dx'd with fissure: 9/27/18
Began diltiazem & Miralax: 9/27/18
Began physical therapy: 10/26/18
Acupuncture: 12/08 - 12/22/18
Began nifedapine: 12/29/18
Dx'd with small, superficial abscess, started Cipro & Flagyl: 1/2/19
Talesofmytail
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Abu » 12 Feb 2019, 11:53

You must take the stool softener asap, the longer you postpone this the harder will be for the stool to come out and it will cause more laceration inside the anus. Do not take anymore fiber supplement as it will only bulk up the stool. You need to have it watery the first weeks towards recovery. I honestly do not understand why your doctor did not presrcibe this to you sooner!
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby chachacha » 12 Feb 2019, 18:02

I also think that you should take the MoM as soon as possible. It might be a tough movement, but it's very important that you get started. And as Abu says, your surgeon should have advised you to take a mild laxative or stool softener (or both) as your after-instructions when you went home.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby whiteflower » 13 Feb 2019, 01:38

Thank you everyone.
I went to see another doctor today and she told me the wound is healing nicely, no infection.
The swelling is from straining and my stool is soft so it should not cause any problem.
She said I should try taking MoM today and up the dose if it still doesn’t work and to stop the fiber supplement because it doesn’t help. Don’t strain and go do something else if it doesn’t come out after 3 minutes.
Before the surgery I told my doctor that I have BM everyday, so I don’t know if that’s the reason he didn’t prescribe me with laxative.
I will try the MoM today.
whiteflower
Fibre Addict

Postby whiteflower » 13 Feb 2019, 02:54

I was just eating lunch outside and suddenly got the urge to go so I had my BM in the public restroom and it was painful even though the stool is not that hard, just bulky. I quickly got home and had another BM. Now I’m laying on the bed and don’t want to do anything else. Do I still need the MoM?
whiteflower
Fibre Addict

Postby Abu » 13 Feb 2019, 05:22

Yes, you do. It was bulky because of the fiber you took.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby whiteflower » 14 Feb 2019, 08:01

Thank you Abu.
Now I’m feeling quite optimistic because I feel less and less pain after each BM. But I feel like not everything is out yet and I keep having to go to the toilet. The squatting position really help it come out easier. I noticed that the pain is worse after the BM is done and it helps if I tried to relax as much as possible.
whiteflower
Fibre Addict

Postby Scott » 22 Jul 2019, 04:56

Hi whiteflower, I am new to this site. I wanted to quickly follow up with you on how you are doing now? It has been several months after your LIS and sentinel pile removal. I have the same issues, and I am thinking of having the same procedure. I wanted to ask, do you think you made the right decision to have this procedure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

Postby whiteflower » 22 Jul 2019, 09:22

Hi Scott, everything feel great as long as I’m passing stool everyday and keep them soft. If the stool is too hard then it would hurt but not as bad as before LIS and paracetamol would take care of the pain. The pain after the surgery was really bad and I had some leakage but after passing that point, everything feels a lot better. I doubt myself a little when I was dealing with the pain post surgery but my friend told me that “every decision you make is the right decision” and now I really think that I made the right decision.
whiteflower
Fibre Addict