A few more great tips

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A few more great tips

Postby small_flower » 21 Feb 2007, 23:15

I only have a few, but these are just things I've been thinking about.
1) Like pancakes? Go whole wheat pancakes! With a good recipe (mines from the joy of cooking) and some fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries) you have a yummy breakfast and if you make a big batch, you can have it a few times that week. Thats basically all Ive been eating for breakfast throughout my recovery...that and whole wheat toast with strawberry jam.
2) I was reading a lot about the horrible itch, and I know that Cheryl said something about witch hazel. I ran out of tucks and I started using witch hazel (this is post surgery, need to keep the area clean etc.) but what my mother did, which I would've never thought of, is, put the witch hazel in the refrigerator and then take it out on your way to the bathroom. Oh man! Does that coolness ever feel good down there! It may help ease some inflammation and cleans you up really nicely as well.
Thats all for kates tips! :pirat:
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: A few more great tips

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2007, 00:34

wonderful suggestions kate.
just a word of caution about witch hazel.
for hemmys, it is a blessing as yes it does reduce inflammation.
however for an active fissure (pre-LIS), as the witch hazel reduces inflammation, it tends to constrict the skin. the problem with applying it to a fissure is that it constrictst the skin around the fissure and the fissure itself, that when you are ready to have your next BM, your skin will have "shrunk" and not be flexible ready for the stretching when the BM comes out.
for fissures, it is best to avoid using witch hazel despite the immediate relief it may offer.
i have no idea how witch hazel can affect post-LIS but i don't reckon that it would be helpful if it "shrinks" the area of healing to the point where you will want to have it flexible to allow a BM to pass.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby small_flower » 22 Feb 2007, 00:56

Oh god! I didnt know! The only thing I knew is that it felt good! :) Isnt witch hazel the active ingredient in tucks??? Image
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2007, 18:10

yep. tucks are great for hemmys but not really the best for fissures.
that was one of the things i would buy OTC before my first ever visit to the CRS and he said stop using anything with witch hazel.
:( because i can understand that the witch hazel may bring on a good feeling but it really doesn't help with fissures.
i would only assume that it isn't helpful post LIS either but i may be wrong.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby small_flower » 22 Feb 2007, 19:02

So what do you recommend for cleaning after going to the bathroom?? I have to go back to school this monday, and I am going to need something. Obviously theres no tub in the teachers lounge. Any suggestions? Image
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2007, 19:08

I take along Cottonelle wipes with me just in case and they are flushable. The other thing you might want to try is to fill a squeeze bottle with warm water before you go into the stall and you can rinse off you behind that way without having to wipe. Kind of a mobile bidet!
What grade are you teaching?
Lecia

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2007, 20:24

i love Charmin Freshmates with FreshWash gentle cleanser.
the wipes are nice and soft compared to Target brand and Huggies brand.
Now I have to work my way thru all the huggies aloe vera i bought.....
After that, I will never stray from Charmin.
:-)
happyass
King Fissure

Postby small_flower » 22 Feb 2007, 20:49

Lecia and Hugh,
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go out and try something new.
I teach first grade lecia. I am student teaching, so its not really MY class, but its getting to be that time of year when it starts looking that way more and more, which means, I need to be there, all the time. So...there you have it. Image
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby small_flower » 23 Feb 2007, 12:28

oops...i mean....gareth.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Cheryl » 24 Feb 2007, 06:45

small_flower wrote:2) I was reading a lot about the horrible itch, and I know that Cheryl said something about witch hazel. I ran out of tucks and I started using witch hazel (this is post surgery, need to keep the area clean etc.) but what my mother did, which I would've never thought of, is, put the witch hazel in the refrigerator and then take it out on your way to the bathroom. Oh man! Does that coolness ever feel good down there! It may help ease some inflammation and cleans you up really nicely as well.
Thats all for kates tips! :pirat:
kate

OH GAWD no KATE!!!! please dont use it 'internally' especially not after surgery.. if you want to use externally id still even wait for a while longer just incase... oh now i wish i had of worded my post better... sorry, i have misled you... this is just something that was read off the net..
In my post it said
Witch Hazel – an old-fashioned remedy
This natural herb has the ability to shrink hemorrhoids and to ease the pain and itching, to soothe minor burns and skin abrasions, while preventing infection, and reducing the bleeding and oozing of certain skin conditions.
The large quantities of tannins, as well as the flavonoids, cause the proteins in the skin to tighten, which creates a protective covering that increases resistance to inflammation and promotes the healing of broken skin areas and damaged blood vessels beneath the skin. When it is applied to facial veins, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and bruises, the normal structure of the skin and capillaries are strengthened and soon return to their former structure.
Cautions with Witch Hazel:
Do not take the herb internally for long periods of time as it can interfere with the body’s absorption of iron and long-term use can lead to anemia.

Before preparing any natural remedies, always consult a naturopath or homeopath - sometimes commercial 'natural' products can contain 'non' natural ingredients. This is even more important when using things 'internally'

If its the cooling effect your after, wrap some ice in a face washer or something and stick that on your butt! :lol!: much safer i believe.
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22