A year post-op next month~ Thanks & Good Bye!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

A year post-op next month~ Thanks & Good Bye!

Postby Guest » 28 Sep 2011, 12:07

Hey guys,
I thought I'd give my final report on my LIS/ skin tag removal of last year. I won't be coming in much anymore. I will check in and help get rid of the spam, etc... but I feel it's time to move on. I wish all of you luck who are about to have a procedure , the ones still deciding and the ones still healing!
No one can ever understand the suffering and choices that we have to make to deal with a fissure. It is very painful, alters our lives physically and mentally and I feel for every person in here and thank you all for helping me through my darkest days with my fissure and my better days after LIS! I would have been clueless and alone without your support and advice.
Next month October 19th will be my one year mark since having my LIS and skin tag removed. Believe me if you haven't had surgery, you will remember this day like the birth of one of your kids. Lol. I had a great experience but this day will stand out as the one of the most dreaded, anxiety experiences of my life!
I just knew I would be pooping in my pants, rolling in the floor with excruciating pain, never heal and be worse off for having the surgery. Yep- I was scared beyond belief! :oops: :oops: Instead it turned out to be the best decision I ever made and I could have kicked myself for not having it sooner. I put my life on hold for 8 months because of my fear! :( I know it's hard to make the decision guys but when you come to that point , you will know it's time... There's just a few things I feel would be really important to leave that were shared with me before having my surgery--
Ask questions before your surgery!
1) How many LIS your surgeon has done- mine said more than she could count
(this sounded good to me)
2) Have they ever made anyone incontinent- this should be NEVER
3) ask if anyone has developed infection/ fistulas because of the surgery- this should be a low number. Mine said maybe 2.
4) ask about there success with the surgery- mine said 90%. She said there was a 10% chance of needing it again.
5) ask anything that makes you feel comfortable about this surgery- pain meds, anesthesia, recovery time, what exactly will be done- just LIS, or fissurectomy, tag removed, etc..
After surgery- I was sore. It felt swollen, bruised, but it wasn't like fissure pain. I took vicodin for a couple of days, kept a soft fiber diet, water, and Miralax. Took baths, stayed off my feet and butt for the first two weeks and things just kind of continued up-ward. I've never had any re-tears( Thank You Jesus)! I to this day avoid eating anything in large amounts that could cause me problems. My core diet is fiber with small amounts of things that I wouldn't have dared to eat with my fissure. These have all been my personal choice and I'm not sure how they would effect me. I just wanted to give that area as much time as possible to re-gain strength. I've read it can take a couple of years for it to be as if a fissure never happened and I'm willing to keep it up. Nothing taste as good as a healed butt feels- IMO.
Well, good luck guys! This is an awesome place for support!! Thanks for everything Image Image Image

Re: A year post-op next month~ Thanks & Good Bye!

Postby TonyStone » 28 Sep 2011, 13:46

Best of luck Dawn, your words mean a lot to me.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Em » 28 Sep 2011, 14:31

I also would like to wish you luck. I hope that you don't come back on here - I mean that in a very nice way as that means you're continuing to heal.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Sue27uk » 28 Sep 2011, 14:38

Have a happy fissure-free life Dawn! Thank you for all your help and advice! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby alpinestrawberry » 28 Sep 2011, 19:17

Awww Dawn, you've been such a great help to so many people...I'm so happy you're able to move on from here and forget about butt issues, although you'll be missed!
No one could take your place!
Best wishes!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Sep 2011, 21:28

I'm so happy for u dawn, u've been an angel!
Keep living and enjoy your every "new-found" life!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Sep 2011, 08:06

Hey Dawn - thank you for everything you've done to help people suffering with butt problems. You've been a life-saver to many of us and your advice and support made a world of difference to me and to more people than we could count. We will miss you very much, but not more than we are so happy for you that you are able to move on. Have a great life - you definitely deserve it! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 29 Sep 2011, 08:53

Tony,
You are going to do great! You will be in my thoughts and prayers Friday. I know we are going to see another success and you will get to sleep and be rid of those awful spasms!
Em,
Thanks so much! I felt a lump in my throat I before I finished reading, Lol! I hope I never have to come back here either and I mean that in a good way too! Lol! Although, I'm going to miss you all Image
Sue,
Thanks so much and good luck to you! I can't wait to look in here and see all of you have put this behind you too!
Alpine, You are going to get there soon! I'm so sorry you are still having troubles. My heart goes out to you! You deserve to be done with this! Just read some of the older threads... Remember Jen! It took her awhile but she got there.
Dwarf,
Thank you! I hope you continue to do well and good luck with everything!
Hopetoheal,
You are exactly the kind of person I would want run into and get advice and support if I were a newbie. You are very supportive and give very informative detailed advice. You are awesome and have definitely paid it forward!
Thank you all! Image Image xoxoxxox

Postby Taygre3d » 29 Sep 2011, 09:38

Thank you Dawn for your words of wisdom , that you have shared with me in the short time I have gotten to join and meet you. May God richly bless you!!!!!!! Happy trails to you, its all behind you! ( pardon the pun ) I will miss you :( butt understand .
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby of all the places to hurt » 29 Sep 2011, 16:32

Dawn, Words will never convey how much this forum and I and, future boardies will miss you!! I totally understand you and am so glad that you got to your 1 year post LIS!! I will miss you on here but thankfully we keep in touch privately! You, Val and Hope are the best on here and I hope this message conveys this to all and future boardies!! You got no reward here, but you will one day, you know what I mean! This is a sad sad day that you have left the forum and you will be missed alotttt!!!!!!!!! I am just so grateful to have had support from you and later on friendship and thank god I met you (virtually) You have left a very very big shoe to fill!! So for the forums sake, I say this: bloody well done you! And Thankyou soooo much for all your hours upon hours of support and help to everyone suffering with fissures etc...I miss you already! e mail me soon and keep ur fund for a quick get away from those bloody tornados ;-) x As Spok wud say: Live long and Prosper!! xx Talk soon xx
Last edited by Anonymous on 02 Oct 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name privacy:)
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14