about periods and hard poo

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: about periods and hard poo

Postby HopefulRebecca » 01 Mar 2018, 14:06

I have definitely noticed this pattern of menstruation worsening the symptoms, and in my case it caused severe constipation and a re-tear. I believe it was partially the tampons that did it to me, not saying it would do this to everyone. I think during the healing process, it's best to stop using tampons as they can put pressure on the anal sphincter from the other direction. My doctor has confirmed this in my case, but I haven't seen any research on this topic. Anyone else have this same symptom?
HopefulRebecca
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Reliefatlast? » 01 Mar 2018, 15:56

HopefulRebecca wrote:I have definitely noticed this pattern of menstruation worsening the symptoms, and in my case it caused severe constipation and a re-tear. I believe it was partially the tampons that did it to me, not saying it would do this to everyone. I think during the healing process, it's best to stop using tampons as they can put pressure on the anal sphincter from the other direction. My doctor has confirmed this in my case, but I haven't seen any research on this topic. Anyone else have this same symptom?

Yes definitely! I have been wondering the same for a while. I had noticed that my flare ups seemed to coincide with my period at times. I assumed it was some constipation just before that did it despite constant movicol but I did also notice some pain and definite discomfort using tampons that I never had before the fissure. Mine is an anterior fissure also so is closer to where the tampons are.
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby HopefulRebecca » 01 Mar 2018, 17:10

Me too (anterior fissure)! So does that mean you stopped wearing them all together, or do you wear them for shorter amounts of time? Or just not at all? Just asking as (for my lifestyle) it's difficult for me to always wear pads.
HopefulRebecca
Fibre Addict

Postby Reliefatlast? » 01 Mar 2018, 18:12

I still use them because I wasn't sure that they actually were affecting the fissure until I saw it mentioned here but I do use them slightly less than I used to. If it really hurts I'll use pads for a short time but I really hate using them so I doubt I'll stop using tampons completely.

Apparently anterior fissures are much less common than posterior but it's mostly women who get them. Probably connected to childbirth in most although I Don't have children.
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby HopefulRebecca » 02 Mar 2018, 09:46

Ah ok, thank you so much for telling your story! It really helps. Best of luck for the future!
HopefulRebecca
Fibre Addict

Postby Reliefatlast? » 02 Mar 2018, 13:06

HopefulRebecca wrote:Ah ok, thank you so much for telling your story! It really helps. Best of luck for the future!

Thanks you too!!
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 03 Mar 2018, 03:35

Me too anterior and periods affect my bms more an harder plus all the period pressure. I thought about getting in a birth control or should I say fissure control? Who knows mite be the ticket.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37