Ladies! fistula wound and periods...

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Ladies! fistula wound and periods...

Postby worriedagain » 10 Jun 2020, 13:22

Me again, thought I'd post this separately instead of including with my food query!!

So, typically, my period is due around the same time as my fistula surgery is scheduled. I'm a bit bothered about this as I can't use tampons and I'm worried about keeping the area clean. Do you keep the fistula surgery wound covered anyway after surgery? or if not, could I cover it to ensure it doesn't get contaminated?

And what about on the day of surgery if it puts an appearance in then? (which it will- I'm sure- I can guarantee if I don't want it to start on a particular day it will!!)

as you can tell- stressing a bit! I could do without a period then but I guess I'll have to face it at some point during the healing anyway!

thank you :-)
worriedagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Ladies! fistula wound and periods...

Postby North West Jen » 12 Jun 2020, 08:30

Hello! Coming right out of surgery I had some gauze shoved up against the wound and was told to leave it there until my first bath that night.

Funny story about my period (but not funny): I had been draining a little blood, pus and other stuff after surgery. I woke up one morning and had more blood and was SO worried that something bad was happening all over again. Turns out the extra blood was from my period. (Face palm).
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Ladies! fistula wound and periods...

Postby worriedagain » 19 Jun 2020, 17:11

Hello! thanks for your reply! I'm glad your moment of horror was quickly replaced by one of relief when you realised the blood wasn't from the wound!
worriedagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4