abscess 1 month post-LIS :(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

abscess 1 month post-LIS :(

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Jun 2011, 16:24

Bad news - I developed an abscess :(
I thought I was doing so well, but this morning I had more pain than usual. I felt raw and like there was a sharp stick poking me inside my butt. I took a painkiller and slept most of the morning, but by 2:30pm I decided to have a look. There was nothing outside. In fact the outside looks just great. But when I bore down, some white pus-like substance came out. It wasn't a copious amont - maybe 1/6 of a teaspoon, but it didn't look right to me, so off to the hospital I went.
The doc poked me in the ass and said that he didn't feel anything up there, but when he withdrew his finger he noticed a small about of pus. He said that a surgical intervention isn't necessary, since the abscess is already draining. He was actually pretty cool. He explained that "purists" (i.e., surgeons) opt for surgical solutions and don't prescribe antibiotics. He is a "realist" - he deals with the complications of surgery, and he does prescribe antibiotics, so I got a script for Cipro. The doc told me that we'll know if the abscess is healed in three days. So, if by Wednesday I'm still having symptoms, I have to go back and probably have some kind of surgery. Image
I asked him about the possibility of a fistula forming and he said that since the abscess is already draining into the rectum, "where we want it to go", that a fistula is unlikely. Naturally, I'm terrified now that I will be facing a fistula after all this.
I don't know if it is significant that my abscess is internal ... does anybody know about this?
Well, I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now. I had a good cry just before I went to the hospital because I knew what was going on. I think I'll go have another good cry now. Man, I hope this is a minor complication and that it resolves soon!
Deleted User 579

Re: abscess 1 month post-LIS :(

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2011, 16:29

Hugs to you Hopetoheal. I will keep you in my prayers.
Try to stay positive. You caught this early. Image

Postby Savaici » 12 Jun 2011, 18:37

Yes, it is caught totally early, Hopetoheal. Big hug. You did the right thing by not waiting and that is the best. And another great big hug. Em Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 12 Jun 2011, 19:55

Hope,
I think NG might have also developed an abscess after LIS. If so, hopefully, he will chime in with his opinion, thoughts, and details.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bambi » 12 Jun 2011, 22:48

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you! But it sounds like you got on this as fast as could be possible and I will pray that the Cipro gets rid of this infection. Go have that cry and then try not to worry too much. Can you give yourself time back on the couch again to give your body a chance to rest and help the healing?
Thinking about you and praying for your swift recovery from this hopefully short setback-
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Jun 2011, 08:18

Thanks so much, guys, for your hugs and prayers. I'll admit I'm a bit freaked out. I was doing so well dealing with my anxiety issues, and now this! Image
I guess what scares me more than anything else is the possibility of a fistula forming. What has me particularly puzzled (and anxious) is that there were no external indications of an abscess. I just passed pus when I pushed a bit. I really don't know if that means anything. I've been reading up on abscesses, and apparently an intersphincteric abscess doesn't show any external swelling - just an internal bulge is detectable with digital exam (the doc didn't find a bulge, though). Also, apparently intersphinteric abscesses have a greater chance of forming a fistula. Soooo ... as you can see I've been using google to scare the sh*t out of myself. Image
It was hard to tell how far up into the anal canal/rectum the pus originated, and since the location of the pain was/is at at the fissure and skin tag sites, maybe the abscess was low and superficial? Image
Today is a bit better. I didn't wake up with any pain, and the pain that has developed this morning is pretty much the same as yesterday, but milder. It's very strange - it just feels raw and open, especially at the skin tag site, so I actually think that the pus came from the fissure site, just deeper inside.
If anyone has had experiences with post-LIS infection/abscess, I would love to get your insights and advice.
Meanwhile, I'm hoping for the best - and hoping you are all doing very well. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 13 Jun 2011, 09:58

Oh no, Hope, so sorry to hear that. OMG, how horrible for that to happen. It sounds like your incision maybe is infected?
Don't panic too much if it does become a fistula. When I was told I had one the first time I literally cried for the whole 50 minute mess home from the hospital LOL! This time I knew what it was so wasn't quite so upset.
If you get a fever, or feel kind of unwell - like when you're brewing up a flu bug, then that could mean a fistula. Also, it isn't actually as painful as a fissure- it still hurts but more like that stabbing feeling like a needle.
Sending healing vibes your way. Get well soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Savaici » 13 Jun 2011, 11:28

Just relax totally, Hopetoheal. Don't worry about it as it will not help. Just concentrate all on healing. Think about all the lovely times in SA that you have had and will have. (there is another song that I think you will like by Tony Bird, with the name of Outeniqua.) You were so quick with doing something, and didn't leave it. Very very good!! Image The antibiotics will do their work, and it is good that you don't feel as bad today, so they are doing their work. We all tend to think the worst, because we read so much, and that is why we manage to find this place. Having a good cry is good, but don't deplete your energy with getting too down about it. Hope I am bucking you up and not sounding pushy!! Feel for you, so much. Look after yourself and all will be right. Image Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby sidra1968 » 13 Jun 2011, 15:21

Actually, I developed an infection at the incision site during week 3 post-op and it took two rounds of antibiotics (Flagyl) to get rid of it and then it was still there (albeit very little). I kept squeezing it by myself and kept it very clean and eventually it did go away.
So, don't worry too much. I am sorry this happened, it seemed you were doing so well. It's just another example of the insidiousness of these damn things!
And yes, try to treat this in your mind as we would any other infection..meaning antibiotics=gone. I think dwelling on it somehow makes it worse..I know how much easier it is said than done. I'll be praying for you!
Cipro is some strong stuff, I bring it when I travel to third world countries because supposedly it'll "kill" any bacteria I come across. It worked wonders for me in Egypt, so I think it will really help you.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Jun 2011, 16:05

Thanks so much everyone! You're right that I shouldn't panic at this point, so I'm focusing on happy thoughts.
Val - thank you so much for sharing info about fistula symptoms and reassuring me that even the worst-case scenario can be dealt with and overcome. You are so generous to hold my hand when you have your own surgery coming up. You're an inspiration! Image
Em - I definitely needed a pep talk! You're right that I spend way too much time researching these things and I need to get back to a healthier routine. I took your advice this afternoon and I feel better now. I put my head back in South Africa and now I'm doing web research on Tony Bird instead of ass problems! :D
Sidra - thanks for replying. I have read your posts and found them very reassuring. It's actually more reassuring that you are here to reassure me! You're right, cipro is an ass-kicking antibiotic. I took a bunch of it with me the first time I went to Africa ... but when I got there I found that I could get antibiotics that could make your hair fall out!
Thanks so much for the emotional support. I've stopped crying and now I will be cautiously optimistic. I do think I caught it early and so I believe it will heal uneventfully. You guys are the best! Image
Deleted User 579