AC adapter & How do you heal if you always have a BM?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AC adapter & How do you heal if you always have a BM?

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 09:55

Hello,
I think it was buttgirl that mentioned this but I bought an AC adapter at Radio Shack for my heating pad. What a god send. I am in an out of town office today and had to drive 15 miles. I put it my car turned it on let it get warm and then turned it off. It got me to work. I am still having pain in the morning after my BM but not as bad. But there is still pain.
How does this thing heal? You always have to BM. so it always gets irritated. How frustrating. My CRS changed my appt. I have to wait until 7/18/07 now. I am going to discuss surgery. I know I have been dealing with this thing since December also. It just became more severe since May 07. I know it's only July but I can't do this for 2 or more 3 months. I am only 42 and went from always being active to not doing anythiing at all. I hate the feeling of being afraid to eat, leave the house and go BM. Does anyone else feel like that?? Sorry to go on and on I just get overwhelmed sometimes. i use to be the one taking care of everyone now I feel useless. Thanks for listening.
BBG
Patty

Re: AC adapter & How do you heal if you always have a BM?

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 10:07

Therein lies the rub. That area is so difficult to heal because it is always getting "reinjured" every time you go to the bathroom and since the area is "dirty" it is also a challenge for it to heal. You add on top of that spasms which prevents
blood flow from reaching the tissue and you have a long healing process. It is very much two steps forward and one step back kind of situation.
I wouldn't blame you if you considered the surgery. I understand it is a tough decision though as the surgery isn't curative in itself. I had many days when I thought I would never feel normal again but I did. It took a lot of setbacks but I did get over it.
I would give it until your next appointment and reevaluate then.
Hugs (((Patty))
Lecia

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 10:12

Thanks Lecia,
I am going to ask him all the pros and cons. Then ask him if I am doing everyhting possible to heal. Then I will mak another appt afte that and make a decesion afeter that. I think I am just worn out. I hope your surgery goes well on friday. Good luck to you!
Thanks again..
Patty

Postby buttgirl » 11 Jul 2007, 10:23

Definitely. In the mornings, I won't leave the house or fear of a bm without my sitzbath. Eating also scares me. What goes in must come out.

Glad the AC adapter helped!
Still, you should feel encouraged (seems like an odd thing to say, I know). If the pain is less then that means you are healing. I can't remember who said this to me, but the longer your bear the pain, the more you are healing.
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Jul 2007, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 10:25

Thanks buttgirl,
I hope you are right. I am careful on what I eat. The pain is better but there is always that antcipation you know what I mean?
Patty..

Postby happyass » 11 Jul 2007, 11:17

then it sounds like you also have to somehow manage that anxiety that you have surrounding the bm.
are you lubing up before the bm?
are you observing your body's signal the first time around when it has to go or do you postpone/ignore it because you don't want to deal with the pain at that time? you have to go when your body wants to expel. keeping it in makes it worse.
are you cleaning up with a moist toilette or washing it in a shower and then blow drying afterwards? then you have to moisturize. these are so important in addition to changing your diet.
are you letting out gas during the day or night - ie, more like forcing it out? this doens't help as well.
just some things to ponder.
having a BM first thing in the morning can be very debilitating if we make it the worst thing we have to go through. and often times it is, but then we must do other things to somehow mentally prepare ourselves and get us over that hump.
lube lube lube lube....using palmers cocoa butter before and after will help.
personal question: can you stick your finger all the way in without you being in pain?
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby buttgirl » 11 Jul 2007, 11:18

Sure do know what you mean! My life has revolved around my butt for the past year and a half.

If you are considering surgery, I want to mention to you that I have been having a really good experience with Botox. I got it a little less than 2 weeks ago and am in utter disbelief that the pain is gone. I had been in constant pain for that year and a half because of issues with my fissure, but for the past few days I actually wondered if the fissure was even there. I am still really careful though because I know it is there and fragile, and I am always anticipating there will be pain with the next bm...But the past few painless days have been a welcome respite.

You might want to ask your CRS if he thinks that Botox is a viable option for you. The plus sides for me were that it was a quick procedure (if you can even call a process that took less than 1 hour and required no numbing/anesthsia a procedure), the recovery time was nil (I drove straight to a lunch meeting after the procedure, but i am dealing with a roid that was irritated by one of the shots), and it is not a permanent sphioncterotomy. The minus side would be that Botox only relaxes the sphincter; it doesn't widen the anal canal, but that hasn't been a problem for me. What was the problem were those endless, painful spasms...

Good luck at the appt! I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you and that you'll be out of pain before you know it.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 11:51

Hello,
Happyass,
"then it sounds like you also have to somehow manage that anxiety that you have surrounding the bm." How do I do this??
When I have to do a BM I don't hold it. I go. But the hours leading up to it I worry worry worry. I hate being like this. When I am not in pain I can put my finger up there no problem not to far but a good ways. But if I am in pain I don't touch it. Gee you think with all the modern medicine there would be something better out there.
Does the coca butter sting? I use vaseline and A&D ointment, Nefedipine, and now I have Lidocaine. When I let gas out I don't force it is it ok to let gas out? God I will get a stomach ache if I don't. Sorry for all the questionS.
PATTY

Postby buttgirl » 11 Jul 2007, 12:06

Yes. Fart and be merry! especially if it doesn't hurt.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby SunshineHope » 11 Jul 2007, 22:10

Patty I feel like I'm in a very similar situation as you! I also got my fissure around December and am seeing the CRS in a few weeks, but am finding this hard to keep up with... I never wanted to get surgery but this is getting to be so hard for me that I'm getting sort of helpless. & I totallllly understand how you feel when you say you used to be active and no longer are -- hang in there .. We're in this together! You can do it....... holy jeez if I can do it ANYONE CAN haha ! I also understand when you say you feel useless - wow.. I totally understand.. Hopefully we can heal ourselves as soon as possible and get this stupid thing out of our lives...
hope hope hope hope
xo xo
sunshine
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38